Toilet fill valve running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mums toilet is constantly filling from the toilet valve. When I've looked at it, it doesn't matter where you put the float it keeps filling up.. quite slowly.

I couldn't work out how to fix it so she got a plumber out who managed to take the top off the valve and replaced the washer but problem came back.

I could just change the unit but the installer who fitted the toilet siliconed it to the wall and the floor...there's no screw fittings for it... and I cant budge it.

I bought one of these Flomasta Bottom-Entry Brass Shank Fill Valve from screwfix which is almost identical and thought I could unscrew the top and swap them over but the new one was sealed shut (does look like it should unscrew but doesn't). I ended up breaking it and just using the washer (most expensive washer ever) and putting the old one back together but it still runs.

I think maybe the old unit shouldn't come apart and is broken.... any tips on how to remove the toilet from the wall without breaking the tiles or do you think the unit can be saved?

Sponsored Links
I can't see the fault from here.

take the lid off the cistern and take plenty of photos inside, and all round the WC. Paste them into a reply on here.

Is it about push button type? If so you may have a flush valve not seating correctly, usually down to perished rubber seal. I see there any water trickling into the pan?

I'm not there at the mo but this is the unit in question. The water comes up through the top. It does whistle like its trying to stop but its obviously not sealing when the paddle rises to shut the water off.

When its taken apart there is a black washer inside.

Attachments

• ae235.jpg
    ae235.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
When you have a faulty item, a photo of the faulty item will be very much more use than a photo of another item that is not faulty. Inside the cistern will also be a flush valve and some kind of overflow.

If you can see the supply pipe and its connection to the valves threaded stem ,you can change the float valve without removing the WC.
If you can't ,cut the silicone with a long very sharp knife ,or hacksaw blade ,behind the cistern. And Stanley knife around the pan / floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back