toilet handle is bit hard for my daughter to push

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My 10 year old daughter says that the toilet Handle is quite hard for her to push down to flush. Other than asking her to build more muscle, is there a way to adjust the handle or the syphon so it can be easier to her?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is Handle (not push button) and it has been always bit difficult for her

How's the operation of the flush valve / flapper?

If you try to lift it manually, is it sticking / tough to move?

Sponsored Links
Nothing you can really do to make your current one easier I'm afraid unless it's old and not working correctly.
Replacing the syphon might work, older ones had thicker membranes, tend to be a bit harder to 'pull'. A new one may be a bit easier but there will always be a good pull with any syphon flush, it's the nature of the mechanism.
Alternative though is replace it for a different flush valve, flapper type or change to a dual flush push button valve that take a lot less effort.

You could try a Flapper with handle. might be easier for small hands than a button.
O0243_220871_00_PP_300Wx300H

FWIW, I would seek to replace with a button - should be no issue for a 10 year old (their hands aren't usually that small)

'Handle' types are well -known for getting 'stiffer' over time.

I replaced my old handle with a button a couple of years back and been fine ever since..BUT.....

be aware that if you choose a flapper valve like the one in the picture (as I did) you will need to be able to access the cistern easily as the rubber seal around the cone can, on occasions, fail to seal.

That means water will continue to dribble into the toilet as the cistern fills. Easily solved by 're-seating' the seal.

Given this, you may wish to go for a button push but with a different valve type.

Just my view (from experience)

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back