Toilet in garage alterations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hi, we have a garage attached to the side of the house which has a toilet in it. It gets quite cold in there during the winter months and as my Dad uses it because he sleeps downstairs, I would like to make it slightly larger and warmer.

Currently there is just the toilet with an old stud wall on one side and a door on the front with a sink separate from the toilet in the garage. At the back of the toilet is an external wall and the side wall onto the conservatory.

I would like to make the space larger, something like 1800mm square and put a sink and a small radiator in there.

I am wondering if I would need to follow building regulations for the amount of insulation required. I was planning on placing some on the currently concrete floor but can only raise it by around 55mm as that is the height of the step from the conservatory.

It is a detached, very old house. As far as I know the toilet and garage were there when we moved in 32 years ago.

If anyone can help me figure this out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is anyone able to answer my question, or at least point me in the right direction, please?

I'd just crack on and do what you want.

The more insulation the better. I've seen people put the kingspan stuff on the floor then board over.

Your new stud wall could be made out of 4x2 (or more) and stuffed with insulation too.

Should be much better once the radiator is in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably put some insulation on the floor with a chipboard covering and make sure the rest is well insulated.
I might consider putting up a full stud wall across the width of the garage to separate the toilet end from the up and over door as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back