Downstaires Bathroom Query!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

A close friend is after turning a downstairs garage into a part barthroom/party utility.

There is already a utility in there, 1000 base unit sink and applianes etc.

The main reason is her dad has had a kindney bypass and is unable to ( At the moment ) mount the staires.

The plan is to build 2 stud walls to form a bathroom area, just enough for a small sink and toilet.

There is a garage door at the front that will not be altered.

Just want to know wether i have to involve planning or Building control for this type of thing?

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
Just want to know wether i have to involve planning or Building control for this type of thing?

Hi pvcfitter. The work you intend to do is controlled work and as such requires notification and inspection by Building Control. The good news is that you don't have to inform Planning (unless the property is listed - in which case they would probably say "no way Jose" anyroad :LOL: )

If you want advice on the specifics of achieving compliance with BRegs on your intended project feel free to ask away.

Hi Hotrod, Cheers for the swift reply!

I thought that Bc would need to be informed! However wasn't sure they would want to " inspect " for such menial work!

Its definately not a listed building and its good that planning doesnt need to be involved :cool:

I take it one inspection would be enough to catch the on goings? or would they insist on more!

Presume: Ventilation & Fire egrees would be the main things they would be looking for?

Thanks again!

I take it one inspection would be enough to catch the on goings? or would they insist on more!

Presume: Ventilation & Fire egrees would be the main things they would be looking for?
They will be looking at walls and roof insulation, floor insulation, mechanical ventillation, background ventillation, drainage connections, part p electrics, trv's on rads, low e' glazing, possibly escape and smoke detectors and a partridge in a pear tree.

Menial, dream on! :p

Sponsored Links

They will be looking at walls and roof insulation, floor insulation, mechanical ventillation, background ventillation, drainage connections, part p electrics, trv's on rads, low e' glazing, possibly escape and smoke detectors and a partridge in a pear tree.

Menial, dream on! :p

Thanks for the reply, I agree with most of the things youve listed there, but how can they check for low e glass or any u values on frames that arent being changed! And background ventelation.. again the frame isnt being change so they may end up on me whapping a trickle vent through a frame?

Similarly she wants nothing doing with the ceiling, and floor.

At the end of the day its a job for a friend, and im not going to end up arguing over it! its simple, what he says go'es, but at the end of the day the works are menail.. that lot was said like im trying to build a bloody house!

I'll let her know anyway! and go from there.

Cheers for the reply nose.

If the work is for a disabled person who needs ground floor facilities, you should talk to your local Social Services people. My Dad had similar problems and they paid for conversion of an outside toilet to a shower room and inside toilet, and they sorted out all planning and control problems.

Hi again chaps,

Building control are now involved and the job is going ahead, Cheers for the advice all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back