Downstairs Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the house I have recently bought there is a downstairs toilet, it has no sink or door (it is odd!) at the moment, however the toilet will stay where it is, but a new stud wall will be put up extending it, allowing for a window and sink in there.

Do building control need to know about this or can I just get on and do it?

From reading up I'm aware of ventilation needs, sink in there and the need for insulation for sound proofing. Anything else?

Sponsored Links
In the absence of an opening window, a small extract fan would be OK.
No need to insulate the new wall.
Don't bother notifying Building Control - more hassle and money - just do it.

Depends where the loo is but imho soundproof it!
My old office was a partition away from a toilet and I heard stuff that you never want to hear!

Haha, for the sake embarrassment for all and for a little money I think i shall go for insulation...

Sponsored Links
There's a roll of 100mm Knauf insulation 1/2 price in B&Q, £9. It says loft roll but also claims to give good thermal and acoustic insulation.

Seemed a bargain to me and would be ideal if you used a 4x2 for your stud wall.

a fire door is much better for blocking sound than an ordinary cheap hollow door.

It is thicker and much heavier so will need three good hinges

Fibreglass batts are denser, more solid and heavier than loft roll, so better at deadening airborne sound.

Forming a structural opening for the window would be notifiable work. The window fitting is notifiable work, or you can use an installer who is a member of a competent persons scheme FENSA or Stroma. The other work is not notifiable.

Is it ok to have a wash basin and toilet in a room off the kitchen? Sure this use to be an issue at some point?

If the loo opens directly into the kitchen you have to have a washbasin in the same room as the loo. Apart from that you're fine- yes I'm sure you used to have to create lobbies and nonsense but not any more

That said, it is nice to provide a lobby where possible- and/or a fairly solid door!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back