Toilet In Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am adding a small toilet in my loft space and would appreciate some guidance. The toilet will be added between the existing trusses, the size is 1.6m x 0.8m and 2.2m high so will only be WC and small basin. The house currently has 100mm Kingspan between the trusses on the roof. The new toilet walls or ceiling will not come within 400mm of this roof or any walls so will have air all around. There will be no heating in the toilet so the temperature inside the toilet will be similar to that around it.

I have carried out testing throughout the winter and the temperature is fine for toilet use.

I have built the stud walls with 63 x 38 CLS on 300mm centres as I would like to use 9.5mm plasterboard to maximise space and minimise weight. I will cover the walls on the inside with a thin acrylic wet wall. I also plan to add insulation between the studs mainly for sound proofing rather than thermal.

My questions:

1. Will I need a vapour barrier between the insulation and plasterboard if the temperature on both sides is similar.

2. Is 9.5mm plasterboard ok for this application.

3. What insulation type should I use for the sound proofing.

4. Can I use a thin material like hardboard or plywood on the outside to keep the insulation in place.

Thanks for the comments.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back