Toilet leak Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

got major problem with my toilet and was hopeing someone could give me some advice on what to do.

We installed a new toilet about 5 months ago.

I put one of those coloured blocks in the other day to freshen it up and as it was green when i came home from work there was green all over the floor.

It seems to be leaking from the back of the toilet.

Ive got a flexible pipe on the back and ive shut the water off and pulled the pipe off the back to make sure the seal was not damaged but it seems in perfect condition.

Ive put it back on again but again my floor has gone green behind toilet.

What can i do to get a better seal around the toilet waste outlet? It just doesnt seem to have a good seal.

any advice would be much appreciated as i got tiled floor and its staining them green :(

Sponsored Links
Is it the pan connector leaking, or is it the flush pipe or the joint between a close coupled pan and cistern?

A leak in this area can drip onto the pan connector, giving the impression it's the pan connector that is leaking. Check the flush pipe or cistern/pan joint is dry (a bit of coloured tissue can be useful), and there's no telltale water marks.

Turn the cistern supply off, flush the cistern, then bail/sponge out the remaining water and leave it for a while. If the leak stops, it is probably the cistern/pan joint rather than the pan connector.

hello and thank you for your reply.

this is the bit thats leaking, its the same as that except the straight bit is a flexible adjustable length. but connector is the same.

p1071931_m.jpg
<----- this end is leaking

Ive drained it etc and checked seal and creconnected it but it just seems to be escaping between the pan connector seal and the toilet outlet.

you can feel it and see it cos its green seeping out of the back of the toilet where all the waste goes out of.

Is there anything that can make that connecter thing grip more tightly or some sort of special filler that will seal it?

many thanks

Try a different make of connector,i find multikwik to be about the best available.

Keith.

Sponsored Links
hello believe it or not this is the second one i tried.

first i had a nasty £9 one from focus and then this one i got now was £20 i think

how much are the multikwik one and where can i get them from? not many big shops where i live lol

I work next to jewsons mind dont know if they sell stuff like that>?

ensure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth and the pan/pipe are not moving

check there are no cracks or chips in the porcelain

fit it using the proper ?silicone? lubricant.
If you use washing-up liquid people say in time it attacks the seal

JohnD said:
ensure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth and the pan/pipe are not moving

check there are no cracks or chips in the porcelain

fit it using the proper ?silicone? lubricant.
If you use washing-up liquid people say in time it attacks the seal

Hi john,

Yeh all has been cleaned and is brand new so no chips or anything in the porcelain. No lubricant was used to put it on, a plumber who was a friend of a friend did it for me.

Could i get somesort of clear silicon sealer and put in in the connector around the seal to seal it up? and when its dry put water back on?

sorry, don't know.

the rubber fins are supposed to slip and grip and provide the seal.

If you can put up a photo ofthe installation someone may be able to suggest more

you are sure it's not dripping down from the cistern?

I will double check again when i get home to be sure, so do you mean it could be coming from where the cistern is connected to the bowl and running down to the connector making me think its coming from there?

I will double check when i get home and take some pics aswell.

cheers for your help

Regards Dean

yip.

you can tie kitchen roll round various parts, it will show up any dampness.

The soil pipe should only be able to leak during flushing, at other times it does not contain water (or anything else).

I wrapped toilet roll around the back waste pipe connection last night at midnight and when i got up at 07:30 it was bright green and fell to bits when i picked it up.

will do the same around the cistern and see if anything happens

it is likely to be where the bottom of the cistern connects to the ledge at the top back of the pan.

there is (should be) a fat rubber washer here to seal it. You can also try tieing up the ball valve overnight and seeing if the water level in the cistern drops.

yeh ill check the rubber sealer on the base, Saying that the one that came with teh toilet was rubbish so the plumber put a new doughnut ring on so that should be fine.

I havent got a ball in the cistern its one of these other types with teh push button flush.

will check tonight to see if there are any green water marks running down from the cistern to the pipe (Glad i put that green cistern block in now)

wiggikins said:
Try a different make of connector,i find multikwik to be about the best available.

Keith.

ditto and never ever lubricate the wc spigot.

Ok as John mentioned ive investigated and it is indeed leaking from where the cistern connects to the toilet itself, so its coming from where the doughnut ring is as i can see all green inbetween there.

Ive yurned the water off to the toilet and have soaked all the water out of the cistern and the leak has stopped so its definatly the cistern.

What would i need to do now? is it a case of buying another Doughnut ring and installing that and putting it back together again and see how I get on or is there a better way of sorting this problem.

Many thanks for your time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back