Toilet leak - urgent help needed or lots of towels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a leak on our bog, took me a while to work out where from because of the condensation but it's definitely coming from the pipe that leads from the cistern to the pan - which comes out at the bottom of the cistern and then turns at 90 degrees and disappears into a slot in the pan. I've probably exaggerated the problem by moving the pipe but it's now gushing out with every flush (I've turned off the supply now though). Just inside where the pipe disappears there seems to be a washer? It's loose so I don't don't know if that's the problem. Stop me if I'm getting too technical...

Firstly, is the washer the issue? Secondly, is there a remedy that doesn't involved removing the pan? Thirdly, did you know that strong urine kills weeds - I do now.

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be gushing out from the pan, almost as if the water is leaving the cistern, travelling trough the outlet and then coming back out. Just underneath the cistern where the joint is it's dry.

can you not push the pipe and seal back in sounds like its just been pull out abit.

they only useally leak if the rubbers rotted or its been pulled etc.

Sponsored Links
I've had a go but the only play in the pipe seems to be from side to side so although it seems certain to be loose I can't figure out how to reseat it because you can't see the join (it just disappears into the hole in the pan where I asume it connects an inch or two inside).

have you got a pic ?
as they don't join nothing just sit in a tight seal in the rear of the pan.

Can't sort a pic but here's the pipe I mean. The connection where the pipe meets the pan is actually hidden and not accessible because it's within the ceramic sleeve of the pan itself.

i know the pipe but there are a few different types of seal.
does the seal look like its popped out abit ?
sometimes if you push the pipe in without pushing the seal in the pipe go's in to far then the seal won't go in.
try pulling the pipe out abit and push seal in.

There's no movement on the pipe other than side to side. There seems to be a black washer just inside the lip but I can't get hold of it.

So which is easier, moving the pan or undoing the outlet pipe from the cistern?

undo the nut under the cistern and slide the black seal down and then it gives you enough to play with to pull the pipe out the rear of pan.

The problem was that you had side to side movement. You should have rotated the pipe until you had up and down movement, that would have sorted it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back