Toilet leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I need some help in locating a toilet leak.
I have one of those vanity cupboard back to wall toilet pans (the cistern is hidden inside the cupboard).

I can see water slowly oozing out from under the toilet where the pan meets the floor, but it only seems to happen when the flush is pulled.

I have replaced the flush cone, and put in a new flexi waste pipe, but that hasn't fixed it. I then called out a builder to have a look, who is also a bit stumped. he loaded up the flush cone join with silicon, as well as the waste pipe to pan join. still no joy, when i pull the flush, water still oozzes out from the bottom but when i feel around the pipe work, all seems dry.

I thought I could isolate the problem by emptying the cistern, then throwing a few gallons of water into the pan to see if its anything related to the waste pipe. so i did this and i couldn't see any water leaking. I put my hand around the pipe work and all is dry.

next, i filled up the cistern, and pulled the flush a couple of times, and the leak started. Again, I felt around the bottom of the cistern, the flush cone join, and the waste pipe join and it was all dry.

the only thing I can think of is that there is leak in pan itself but somewhere in the rim. There are no visible cracks on outside.

has anyone come across something like this before, or can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks
Sups

Sponsored Links
It's a bit difficult to comment without actually seeing the toilet as it sounds like the leak is not in one of the usual places.

So I can only suggest a couple of things that you may have already covered.

It is unusual for water to leak out of the pan itself but not unheard of. The common place is where the flexi connects onto the spigot. Water runs down the foot of the toilet and pools around the base. Have you tried a piece of tissue paper held at the back of the toilet whilst flushing. Tissue will show up any leaks.

The other thing I have come across is if the flush pipe is pushed too far into the pan or too far up into the cistern, that can also cause a leak.

Thanks squeaky,

Just tried the tissue trick, the tissue is dry but I can still see water on the floor... At the same time I checked the pipe work behind and its all dry. Its really frustrating!

Looks like I'll have to buy me a new pan and hope it stops :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back