Toilet Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a near disaster with a leaking toilet whilst away for a weekend during December (these things never happen when you are at home) I have an en suite toilet that (I am told) was designed with a left and right hand fill. So on one side there is a plastic cap acting like a bath plug keeping the water in the unit.

Whilst away the plastic cap fractured and began dripping water, and of course the toilet kept topping up as it leaked out. Fortunately it did not completely give way although I still came back to a bit of flood which has stained the lounge ceiling beneath it but I don't think the damage is too bad.

So that I can actually leave the house in peace going forwards, have I just been extremely unlucky here, or is this a poorly designed toilet that I should consider replacing. The new plastic cap is about £2 and to think that has caused a lot of damage with the flood water then I am reluctant to be relying on something like that to prevent this happening again.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4534.JPG
    IMG_4534.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Just unlucky as they are pretty standard. The other bits, syphon and fill valve, are plastic as well but you wouldn't expect them to give way either. Just make sure the new stopper isn't over tightened.

Thanks Denso, exactly what my brother said, either it was damaged in the first place or it was tightened way too much which caused it to fracture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back