Toilet Waste Pipe and Base Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a small leak through the main waste water pipe (not at a join of pipes or on the plastic pipe from the toilet itself but on the underside of the pipe in a small localized area). So I taped it up with masking tape to check where it was. Upon doing so the toilet base started leaking at the back (through a gap in the silicon seal around the base on 1-2mm).

So I removed the tape and put a small pot under the pipe to collect the water. After some time, the pot had water in it from the pipe leak and no water seemed to be leaving via the base of the toilet.

How can these be connected?

I am reluctant to call out a plumber until I understand some of what is happening.

Any help much appreciated.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Could be a partial blockage after the hole you've sealed with masking tape. If that hole is blocked, water backs up until it finds the next available escape, in this case the join of your WC and pan connector or pan connector and soil pipe.

I think (and hope) oldbuffer is right; i managed to seal the pipe leak (as previously mentioned) and tape over the toilet base leak, repeatedly flush the toilet (with chemical unblocker added) and left overnight. When I got up and checked it, taking off the tape and silicone, the leaking had stopped.

Plumber came round and took a look at it and could find no visible faults or causes.

I think there was just a partial blockage in the 4" waste water pipe from the toilet that can not been dislodged. Fingers crossed it has gone away!

Sponsored Links
If you mean that the water appeared on the floor from under the base of the pan - sometimes it appears that way but is actually coming from the pan connector, running down the back of the toilet and pooling underneath.

It's unlikely the water is leaking under the toilet unless it is cracked or you have a 'back to wall' pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back