Toilet leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had suspected there was leak around my basement toilet for some time, and the black dots of mould appearing on the tiles in the bathroom further aroused my suspicions. Yesterday I took apart the boxing around the back of the toilet and noticed damp screed.

Anyway the short story is there is a drip drip of water when I flush the toilet. I have emptied the tank and the flapper device that sits below the push button. When I pour a bit of water from a mug into the hole at the base of the tank, there is the drip drip of water at the base and to the rear of the toilet.

I have checked all i can at the back of the toilet and all seems dry. The dripping is low at the base. Can anyone advise...do I need a new toilet?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of where it is leaking?

sure its the last image - and its where the toilet overhangs the flooring. I cannot tell if its leaking the same on the right hand side just yet as there is some boxing that is difficult to remove

Attachments

• IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 85
Ok managed to remove the toilet. It looks like the water is coming from in between the cut, not from inside/behind (first pic) I cant see an obvious crack or hole but it seems to be seeping through the materials where the plumber looks like he had to make an opening to fit. How the water is getting down there no idea.

Can the crack be filled? If I had to buy a new toilet (same model), presumably it wouldn't slot in to place otherwise the plumber would not have had to cut into the ceramic.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2411.JPG
    IMG_2411.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
There is a small hole! now to fill it....

Attachments

• IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back