Toilet leaking!! Awesome!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so the joys of owning a victorian house have struck again, We have a downstairs toilet and we knew there was a small leak but now it is getting used a lot (previous family had left it vacant for three months) it is leaking worse! It has two leaks, one where the ubend meets the toilet basin, and another above where the cistern pipe meets the basin!! Hope that makes sense, pictures can be provided if ness!. When it is not being used it is fine but every time it gets flushed it leaks for around 20 minutes, Prob expelling a tablespoon or two of water, I have used some plumbers maite Stuff which helps but I would like to know how to fix it permanently.! thanks.

Sponsored Links
The flush pipe to pan joint, fit a new flush cone. Outlet, depends where its leaking and design of pan. New pan connector may be all thats needed. Pan is solidly fixed? If it moves slightly then will keep leaking as joints are constantly being disturbed!

I think the problem is there is so much sealant around all the seals that it is impossible to see where it is leaking from, How do you lower the water level in the u-bend and empty the cistern, Be much easier to work on with no water in it!!??

Sponsored Links
It could just be the one leak. First and easiest thing to do would be to replace the flush cone. It could just be leaking from there and dripping down onto the soil connection, making it look like two leaks. Do that first, then see if that cures it.

I think the problem is there is so much sealant around all the seals that it is impossible to see where it is leaking from, How do you lower the water level in the u-bend and empty the cistern, Be much easier to work on with no water in it!!??
Cistern can be (mostly) emptied by closing the isolation valve and flushing it. Pan can be emptied by using an old tea towel as a plunger and mop for remnants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back