Toilet leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, new member here just hoping that someone will be able to help.

Below is the setup in my toilet cistern, we have developed a leak in to the bowl. Bear with me, I will try and give as much info as I can.

The strange thing for me is that the leak only starts after the cistern has nearly completely refilled. After that a torrent of water just keeps flowing in to the toilet. The water is coming out of the filler valve and also pouring out of the air inlet on the filler valve. I think I have discounted an issue with the flusher valve as when the water is turned off at the wall the leak stops completely.

I am just hoping that i dont need to completely replace the flushed valve as last time I had to call a plumber in to do it as the cowboys that installed the toilets in this new build decided it necessary to make the workings completely inaccessible resulting in pipes needing to be cut etc.

Thank you in advance for any help as this is doing my head in.

20190828_101156.jpg

Sponsored Links
The flush valve has an integral overflow, so if the water level gets too high ,water runs into the pan.Does the water level reach the height of the overflow ?
If it does ,the float valve ( water inlet valve ) may need the float lowering ,or the valve needs replacing.

Being honest I dont know where the overflow is on the flush valve, that being said this started happening with nobody manually changing the fill level. I assume if it was going through the overflow that the cistern would just continuously fill?

Yes ,the float valve would continue to allow water into the cistern ,albeit at a slowish rate probably.

Sponsored Links
The fill valve may have a bit of dirt, or damaged/split diaphragm, preventing it shutting off; but first try lowering the float.

Screwfix Arctic Products Hushflow Washer (1331J)

may be the answer here.

Isolate the water, pry out the red bit, quarter turn the white cap anticlockwise to access the diaphragm washer, replace if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back