toilet leaks at join between halves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a leak between the cistern and bowl on the toilet.
I think it's been there a while as the nuts and bolts joining the 2 halves look a bit rusty. It's nothing drastic but obviously I'd like to get this sorted as it is slowly rotting the wooden panels holding in the pipe work and f knows what the floorboards are like after probably 5 years of it being like this.

Is this just likely to be the whole flush valve needs replacing ?

Sponsored Links
This a common problem ?

So, just drain the cistern, separate 2 halves, replace washer, and refit, try again ?

Sponsored Links
Do you need any grease around these washers or just as they are?
How come they fail after a certain amount of time - does the rubber just lose its springiness ?

Also, the nuts and bolts securing the pan to the cistern seem very rusty. Hopefully, they'll be okay but I don't want to break them. Just give a good spray with WD40 ?

Seems like it has been leaking for a while so I'm worried that the floor underneath might be rotten. The mdf covering all the pipes looks like it's rotting but still fairly stable. Probably collects a small jar of water every 3 days.

replace them, get some plastic ones from any local merchants. why both risk it for the sake of a few quid

wonderb0y said:
replace them, get some plastic ones from any local merchants. why both risk it for the sake of a few quid

Sorry, I meant I didn't want to break them while taking them off. I was going to replace them for sure...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back