Toilet overflowing after flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a push button system, and after returning from holiday when the toilet is flushed it is overflowing into the bowl.

What I have noticed though, is if i run a tap for a few seconds it stops.

Any suggestions or help on how to resolve? Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Either your flush valve isn't fully closed or inlet isn't closing. Take top off cistern, is it going over the overflow?

Thanks

it is going down the overflow pipe

Your flush valve must not be closing fully then. Some can be twisted and removed for cleaning. If you're lucky it'll be a bit of debris on the bottom preventing full closure. Inlet needs to be shut off first.

Sponsored Links
Your flush valve must not be closing fully then. Some can be twisted and removed for cleaning. If you're lucky it'll be a bit of debris on the bottom preventing full closure. Inlet needs to be shut off first.
Thanks. I’ve turned my water pressure down and it’s solved the issue for now. Would this be a normal solution?

If the water is going down the overflow (at the top of the flush valve) then your inlet valve is at fault.

Probably needs diaphragm cleaning or replacing.

If water is escaping out of the outlet (at the bottom of the flush valve) then the flush valve is not seating properly and needs a new seating washer or cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back