Toilet pan connector always leaking... help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I'm installing a new toilet and having problems with the plastic connector between the wall outlet and the toilet pan spigot.

I'm using a MACFIT 20mm offset connector, from toolstation

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Pan Connectors/Macfit WC Connector/d20/sd2887/p55280

Because the wall outlet is a little higher than the spigot on the pan.

I've tried a couple of these now, and every way I try there is a slow leak at the bottom of the connector against the pan. I've tried attaching to the wall outlet first, then pushing the toilet pan against it to connect, and also tried attaching the connector to the pan spigot first, then pushing the whole lot up against the wall into the wall outlet. Everything seems fine when I connect the water and flush, but overnight there is always a leak and a small puddle on the floor behind the toilet. It seems to be coming from the pan side of the connector rather than where the connector goes into the wall outlet.

I know its difficult to describe exactly my set-up here as you wont be able to see the type of toilet i'm using or the rest of the plumbing, but I'd just like to ask if there is anything i'm obviously doing wrong or any suggestions that people can offer me. Silicon sealant? Am I using a poor quality product that's prone to leaking? (there were cheaper options at toolstation - I went for the more expensive version)

Its really frustrating... i've done lots of googling on this and it seems that people have very few problems with these connectors compared to other common plumbing problems - you simply lubricate with a bit of water then push them on to the pan spigot! Job done. Or at least it should be! Help!

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Have just had a thought....

Could it be anything to do with the way I am using the 20mm offset?

The wall outlet (a grey waste tube that is cemented into the back wall, protruding about 10cm) is higher than the toilet pan spigot. So, the offset connector is going "upwards" if you see what I mean.

In other words, the water from the pan has to go up through the offset connector and into the wall outlet pipe. I guess this means that due to gravity there may be water pooling in the bottom of the connector rather than draining away. I would've thought the seal should still be able to cope with a small amount of water in the connector though, but maybe not.

Are these offset connectors only supposed to be used one way (i.e. where the toilet pan spigit is higher than the wall outlet)?

Tom

I would imagine that you've hit the nail on the head with your second post.
If you've used the offset to increase the height of the waste then, after you flush, there will most likely be water trapped in the waste pipe.
When you remove the toilet from the offset connector does water spill out? Alternatively, you may find that the level of water in the toilet may be slightly higher.
The seals on these connectors are not necessarily good enough to resist standing water and therefore they will slowly leak.

As for solutions:

Stating the obvious, alter the height of the pipe through the wall (not really an option probably - too much hassle).

Buy a toilet with a higher spigot (expensive and problem matching with current suite).

Seal with silicon as you suggest (bit worried about the longevity of this solution).

Build a small plinth to stand the toilet on, seems like it need only be able 20mm high. It could be the same size as the footprint of the toilet or bigger to make a feature of it. This should solve your problem.

Remember the height drop on the waste pipe must be correct, I think its a slope of about 1 in 23 (ish) - But you'd best check that first...

Thanks Dynamite!

That makes sense. And yes, water does spill out when I disconnect, so there probably is standing water in the waste pipe.

I think my only option really is try raising the height of the toilet as you say, maybe a plinth. Hopefully it wont look too amateurish...!

Not sure entirely what you mean about the drop for the waste pipe. I guess that there has to be a slight downward slope, is that right? But there is only about 10cm max of the waste pipe that protrudes from the back wall, so difficult to guage if it is actually sloping down (Victorian house - wonky walls and floors as reference points!) - must admit it looks pretty much level to me. I'll get my spirit level out... (not that I can do much about it - its cemented into and through the brickwork)

Sponsored Links
Sorry I wasnt clear. I do indeed mean the slope of the waste pipe.
It should have only a slight slope i.e. a drop of 1cm every 23 cm of pipe (ish!). but as you say, if its stuck in the wall then there isnt a lot you can do... In any case, if it works then it works! :) (bar the drip that is) :p

Hiya,

I'm installing a new toilet and having problems with the plastic connector between the wall outlet and the toilet pan spigot.

I'm using a MACFIT 20mm offset connector, from toolstation

Tom
All that`s been said is correct - but I`d try a Multikwik :idea: because they have a larger range of 18mm. offset ones for different sized pan spigots ;) have a google

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back