Leaking toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a minor disaster when the flexi pipe on the back of the toilet came away. It's a back to wall toilet pan with the cistern in a cupboard. The pan is fitted to one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...n+Connector+Short+240+390mm/d20/sd2887/p71697 which is fitted to one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...n+Connector+Extension+200mm/d20/sd2887/p30732 which is fitted to the soil pipe (which is just a hole in the wall).
(Note these parts are just examples, they did not necessarily come from Toolstation!)

Looking at it, the flexi pipe could slide approx 30mm meaning it either did not engage in the pan connector extension extending from the soil pipe or it slipped off the toilet spigot. I've fitted a longer pan connector extension into the soil pipe to take up the slack such that the flexi pipe is in compression, but the connection between the pan and the flexi pipe still leaks. I will buy a replacement in case it's just damage, but are there any tricks to sealing this joint, given that I'm working blind as it's out of sight under the toilet and access is from inside a cupboard.

The other problem I had was fitting the pan extension into the soil pipe (which is actually just just a hole in the wall). The house is Victorian and the soil pipe is cast iron. Is there a special size connector and/or trick to making these joints?

TIA,

Mike

Sponsored Links
in desperation I used washing up liquid to get the pipe into the soil pipe, but nothing on the pan itself. What should be used?

ae235

Sponsored Links
The trick is to get the right size.

Measure the inside diameter of the CI pipe, then check out
http://www.multikwik.com/catalogue/14/wc-connectors.html

Thanks, I wasn't aware there were different sizes available. In the end I trimmed a couple of the fins and got it in but if there is a problem again I'll know where to look. However, this isn't the end with the leak.

I didn't think to use lube on the pan to connector joint because it went on easily - perhaps alarm bells should have sounded then! I'll get a new one and try again. The pan is only 4 years old, I assumed they are all a standard size. Do they come in different sizes?

Mike

Is that the standard size? When I originally fitted the pan, I just bought a standard one (IIRC from Wickes) without checking the actual size of the outlet.
Mike

A jubilee clip locking band looks like a better solution, but I'll have to check access first.

Cheers,
Mike

Bought one and fitted it with no real problems apart from access to the screw clip was tight.
Hope that's it, thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Mike

It still leaks from the joint with the jubilee clip.:evil:
Now I've had to extend the pipe out from the wall, there isn't a drop on the pipe leaving the toilet pan so there is standing water in the pipe around the joint which is not helping matters.
I will fix the levels issue in due course but in the mean time, what's the best way to seal the joint between the pan spigot (which is quite rough, not smooth glaze) and the rubber pipe - silicone sealant or Plumber's Mait?

Advice ASAP please!!!!

Thanks for confirming what I did was right; I couldn't find my pot of plumbers mait so I had no choice so just got on with it.
Hopefully it's sorted now. But I've thought that before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back