Toilet Pan Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

Could someone please help me with the following problem.

I have replaced a cracked toilet bowl with a new one.

At the top of the bowl at the back, where the flush water enters the bowl, there is an opening where a thick 'washer' is to be inserted. The pipe carrying the water from the cistern is then pushed into the 'washer'.

I would like to know if I should place the 'washer' in the opening and then push the pipe into the 'washer'

or

Should I first push the pipe into the washer and then push the 'washer' into the bowl opening.

I am sure that the term 'washer' is incorrect - apologies.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
The washer is called a doughnut commonly.

I usually attach it to the cistern then place the cistern on the pan, i see no reason to think it wouldn't work the other way.

Like-wise as above place the large foam Doughnut washer around the cistern pipe and locking nut, this should hold it firmly in place, then place it onto the bowl,allow the cistern to seat evenly on the pan and then fully tighten the wing nuts on the under side, if the cistern is sitting away from the wall at this stage dont force it back but pack it out with spacers, to prevent the doughnut washer from leaking

hope this helps

HI

if you are struggling with the one supplied (eg.too tight) you can always buy different type.some are more fleixble/soft than others.

Sponsored Links
sounds more like a low level (rather than close coupled)

You need an internal flush cone - usually easier if you put the cone on the flush pipe, put the flush pipe into the back of the pan then push the cone into the recess.

The rubber cones are more difficult to push into place - the nylon ones much easier

Do not use any lubricant on the cone - unless you want it to pop out when you flush!

when i read the post i also thought the OP meant low level as opposed to close coupled, i would suggest fitting the connector (simpla 2 is a good quality plastic one) hal way on the flush pipe so that half goes into the pan then push the flush pipe fully home to seal.

Many thanks to everybody who replied.

However, you will have to excuse me but I am still a bit confused.

My toilet is not a close-coupled one. The flush water is carried via a right angled piece of plastic from the cistern to the bowl. It seems to be rather tricky to get this piece of right angled into place.

Should I loosen at the cistern end and then push the pipe together with doughnut washer into the recess in the bowel? Is a certain amount of force and bending of the pipe necessary to get the pipe connected at both ends.

Newboys reply seems to refer to the system that I have.

Thanks for your patience everybody

yes do as newboy said push the flush cone on the pipe first and also get the top end into the syphon then push into bowl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back