Toilet Problems....... (so embarrassing)

I am not a plumber, but i have a thought.

trojan09 said that he put buckets of water down the loo and a test paper and all was well, But with a bucket it doesnt hold as much as a cistern and you need to empty and refill it again. Also you cant emty a bucket as fast as a cistern empties (allmost)

So to trojan09 i say go to your local diy shed and buy a can of compressed air with a large "sink plunger" i dont know what it is called, but the two come as a "kit" for unblocking a loo / sink (you turn the sink plunger up the other way for a sink) idea being it sends a "blast of air" down the pipe and shifts the blockage out the way

Sponsored Links
Or go down the curry house followed by eight lagers...

(sorry, couldn't resist it)

Some representative measurements:

cistern
capacity : 2 gallons
'flush' diameter : 40mm
time to empty : 10 seconds
flow rate : 0.2 g/s

bucket
capacity : 3 gallons
'flush' diameter : 300mm
time to empty : 3 seconds
flow rate : 1.0 g/s

Based on this I would expect a bucket of water to beat a cistern, every time.

Compressed air: worth a try, but don't get too upset if it doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
May be off the wall here but I noticed the ref to a syphonic WC. My elderly mother has one of these, and the syphon is the cistern is getting old and not giving a reliable flush (you know, it peters out before emptying the cistern).

as it is a syphonic WC (yes, I do know what they are, and how expensive) the water flow does not quickly raise the level in the bowl enough for it to "suck" the bowl empty, so you get this "filling up and circulating" effect. As I recall the china has a built-in constriction to slow the water escaping while it builds up enough head to suddenly and quietly suck all the water and detritus away.

(btw i plan to fix it with a Flapper Valve, have used these elsewhere and they appear to me to give agood and quiet flow, and less prone to need periodic replacement than the plastic disk in a common (cistern) syphon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back