Replaced WC syphon to no effect.........

Sponsored Links
Hi Graham! It seems most syphons are 9.5 inches measured from flange to spill over point, but are there other sizes ?
According to Dudleys manufacturer of cisterns etc. water level to spill over point is approx 25 mm. If your's is well in excess of this it suggests the syphon and cistern are not a matched pair, although if the overflow pipe is bottom entry it shouldn't be too difficult to replace it with a taller one and achieve the 25 mm suggested.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
MANDATE said:
The higher the water level the easier it is to start the syphon. I suggest a simple experiment. Plug the overflow pipe with finger, depress float and increase water level by say 30mm. Now flush.
I increased the height of my overflow pipe by 30mm and the water level by the same amount, which meant the syphon pipe had smaller volume of air and required smaller volume of water to get syphon started.
It does make me think there is nothing standard about heights of syphons, cisterns and overflow pipes.

GRC - Ah, maybe... will give this a go the next time I'm round there.

As an aside, we set both old & new syphons together on the bench before fitting the new one, and there wasn't much to choose, size-wise, between them. To all intents & purposes they matched each other; but maybe the original wasn't intended for that cistern anyway?

Regards, Graham

Just checked my own syphons! water level to spill over point is nothing like 25 mm. Looks more like 80 to 90 mm on one of them and 110 to 120 mm on the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back