Any issues with replacing the syphon in 'old' Twyfords WC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a house recently. It's got two styles of Twyfords WC - both closely coupled bottom entry, bottom external overflow, front lever models.

I want to replace both styles with new innards, including internal overflow. Talked to the technical support at Twyfords, and was advised that - although I could replace the syphon with an internal overflow version - the toilets (specifically, the sump) were engineered for 7.5 litre flushes, and doing so would result in only 6 litre flushes, which might not be successful.

In looking at these forums, it looks like I can actually get a modern, internal overflow, syphon that can be set to flush at 7.5 litres.

Is this correct ? Has anyone else had experience of the modifying the Twyfords range (think this one is a Chantelle, which they no longer do) with a modern syphon successfully ?

I'm thinking of replacing with FluidMaster components. These should fit, right ?

Sponsored Links
I want to replace both styles with new innards, including internal overflow
not a problem

Talked to the technical support at Twyfords, and was advised that - although I could replace the syphon with an internal overflow version - the toilets (specifically, the sump) were engineered for 7.5 litre flushes, and doing so would result in only 6 litre flushes, which might not be successful.
willbe if you set the syphon for a 7.5 ltr flush
In looking at these forums, it looks like I can actually get a modern, internal overflow, syphon that can be set to flush at 7.5 litres.
yes

I'm thinking of replacing with FluidMaster components. These should fit, right ?

fluidmaster don't do syphons.

if you fit a Flapper rather than a syphon, it will be much quieter, and will give a good powerful flush, which only stops when the water nears the bottom of the cistern and the flap stops floating and falls shut.

I am not a plumber, but I greatly prefer them

You can get then in a fluidmaster kit which includes a quiet filling valve to replace the old ballvalve, and will also cut down the noise a lot.

p4755507_x.jpg

Don't cut the overflow tube too short, or it will reduce the amount of water you can flush.

flappers are cr*p the chains fail if some is abit heavy handed with handle.
the bottom bungs come out after time, pulling out of the lever.

Sponsored Links
the red part that is secured to the overflow pipe, where the chain connects is where the rubber bung has like a nipple on top and pushes through a hole in the lever
over time these fail so when you flush your left with the bung in the hole seperated from the lever.

haven't experienced that (six years use).

Do you just fit a replacement flapper?

or can you mend it?

depends what the customer wants alot want then changed
but you can buy a new flapper/bung.

p.s. cholma

if you are taking the cistern off, always best to fit a new close coupled kit

the rubber washer is probably perished and the screws rusty.

p1077886_l.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. :D

I'm definitely going to get the rubber ring, etc., replaced at the same time.

If I go for the approach of keeping a ball-valve and syphon, rather than the Fluid Master approach, is there a make of syphon I should go for ?

One further question : as the loft was converted (where the en suite is situated), there are no header tanks, so all the toilets are working off mains pressure. Is there an approach that's better suited (i.e. safer, less likely to have parts break) to mains pressure, or are they all much of a muchness ?

fit a fluidmaster fill valve by all means they are faultless
Fluidmaster-400A1.jpg

you got a macdee thats detachable for servicing etc.
Metro_9_5_Syphon.jpg

or a standard opella.
001410_7_5_Delcham_Syphon.jpg

or convert to a flapper as john said or to a flush valve.
Fluidmaster_550_valve.gif

Go for a 3 part syphon as parts are easy to obtain and change. The push button syphons never last that long and the washer at the bottom is sometimes hard to find as there are so many different makes.

Andy

fit a fluidmaster fill valve by all means they are faultless
Fluidmaster-400A1.jpg

you got a macdee thats detachable for servicing etc.
Metro_9_5_Syphon.jpg

or a standard opella.
001410_7_5_Delcham_Syphon.jpg

or convert to a flapper as john said or to a flush valve.

Looking inside the cistern, the inlet hole is close to the corner. One toilet has about 1.5-2cm to each wall, whereas the other toilet has about 1.5cm to one wall and maybe 1cm to the other. Is this too tight to fit the Fluidmaster Pro45B ?

The alternative that my local HPS has is to fit a Wirquin Universal Jollyflush kit, where the inlet mechanism is slimmer. Are these any good ?

Is this too tight to fit the Fluidmaster Pro45B ?
if thats to the edge of the hole then that should be ok.
The alternative that my local HPS has is to fit a Wirquin Universal Jollyflush kit, where the inlet mechanism is slimmer. Are these any good ?

as for wirquin stuff & jollyflush kit i'm not struck on the french cr*p.

if your not going to fit a fluidmaster valve i'd rather fit one of these.
32033.jpg

as for wirquin flush valve i'd go for a fluidmaster one which is a direct copy of the MACDEE ARCADIA which is a very good basic flush valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back