Will modern syphon be ok to replace one in old cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, An old cistern (at least 10 years) has been moved and fitted without the overflow being connected! Not by me of course!
I am looking for the best way of resolving this. Fitting a 'normal' outlet pipe through the wall is not possible.
As I understand it, the modern syphon (with internal overflow) is not designed to cope with the larger quantity of water (7.5 or 9 litres I am told) in an old cistern. The result being that the equally old toilet bowl may not be successfully flushed. Is this correct?
If there is a risk that this is so, would a "flapper" valve, such as the "Fluidmaster" flapper valve, be a solution?
If neither of these I guess I will have to revert to plan A which was to connect the overflow to the foul pipe via a one-way valve.
All comments, advice etc will be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, the modern syphon (with internal overflow) is not designed to cope with the larger quantity of water (7.5 or 9 litres I am told)

what do you mean not designed to cope with 9 litres.
this is a modern syphon that flushes 9 litres and has an internal overflow.

siphon.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of the above.
I was advised that because modern syphons are designed to flush less water (6 litres?), they will not flush the old design of toilet bowl successfully.
If there is absolutely no danger of this then I will use a modern syphon.
Any views on the flapper - it looks good - quiet and neat too. Would it also be okay in my old toilet combination?

these will flush 6, 7, or 9 litres depending on how you set the bungs.
if a new installed toilet then you are surposed to set on the 6 litre flush
if fitting in an old installed toilet then you can set to 9 litre flush.

just another silly regulation.
i always leave them on 9 litre flush.

flappers are ok but not my first choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back