toilet replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys bit of advice please, my daughter has bought a new bathroom suite and wants me to fit it for her, i have fitted one before for myself so i went to do a recce tongiht and found that the toilet waste is cemented in, ive never done one like that before can someone tell me if i can just break the cement away and remove the old one, if so what will i find when i remove it, what sort of fittings do i need to fit the new one into what i assume is going to be a clay pipe, any help at all would be much appreciated. she has 3 kids so i will be on a time limit as they will need everything back and running by sunday night. iv'e takenna acouple of pics so you can see what it looks like
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
This sort of connection is quite common and can be replaced with a standard bent pan connector

You are right in thinking it is clay so care is needed when breaking out the cement (depends how strong the mix is). My preferred technique is to smash the ceramic of the pan before it goes into the floor and carefully break it out(watch out if you didn't know Broken ceramic is like broken glass and will go through your skin and flesh with no problem) if you break the clay pipe you have a serious problem

I think you will find that the soil pipe is Cast iron.
As its a wooden floor by the looks of it.

How is a wooden floor relevant

Could be cast iron bu looks like the collar of clay to me

Sponsored Links
the floor is definately concrete im not sure about the pipe just assumed you wouldnt have cast coming out of the floor

This sort of connection is quite common and can be replaced with a standard bent pan connector

You are right in thinking it is clay so care is needed when breaking out the cement (depends how strong the mix is). My preferred technique is to smash the ceramic of the pan before it goes into the floor and carefully break it out(watch out if you didn't know Broken ceramic is like broken glass and will go through your skin and flesh with no problem) if you break the clay pipe you have a serious problem
thanks for the reply will the connector you mention just push into the clay pipe when i have removed the old pan or will i have to re-cement it into place in some way. there is a vanity unit involved so the new toilet will be a close coupled type, not sure if this will throw up any problems with regard to positioning the new pan

Yea it has a rubber collar that seals but could re cement or similar for cosmetic reasons

It's just called a bent pan connect depending on distance from wall you can get a question mark pan connector that will gain you a couple of inches towards the wall if required.

Flexible pan connectors are also available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back