Toilet seat nut problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm not sure whether this is an easy problem to fix and I've just missed something or whether this is the result of something not being done properly when the toilet was installed.
Anyway, our wall hung toilet seat is loose as the bracket shown in the 2nd photo has slipped through the hole in the body of the toilet. I can't figure out how to loosen the bolt, as there's a bracket which touches it, shown in the 1st photo.
The photos most probably shows this better than my explanation! Any ideas what I need to do here to loosen the nut and pull the bracket out before retightening it please folks?
IMG-7438.jpg

IMG-7437.jpg

Sponsored Links
That'll probably tighten from the other side. The nut looks like it is held captive by the bracket.

The other end of that bolt (top side) will have a slotted or Phillips screw head, covered by a decor cap. Remove the seat (usually by an unclipping mechanism), remove the decor cap on the seat post and you can then back off the screw/bolt to better reposition the clamp so it bridges the hole in the pan and is more secured.

Post some pics from above of the seat raised and the posts and we can help you figure out how to access the screw head.

On my one, the post that the toilet seat fits on needs an Allen to tighten it. Loosen it until you can get both sides of the bottom securely on both sides of the hole and then tighten it up.

Sponsored Links
On my one, the post that the toilet seat fits on needs an Allen to tighten it. Loosen it until you can get both sides of the bottom securely on both sides of the hole and then tighten it up.

OK... Or an "Allen key" :rolleyes::LOL::p

Thanks guys. So with your prompting I found that the seat does unclip, but now I don't know how to remove the flange which has the connector protruding through it shown in the photo, to get to the screw head.
IMG-7443.jpg

You just prise up that chrome cap (after a clean :whistle:) and you'll see the screw underneath it. Just remember to line the seat up properly first before re-tightening.

You just prise up that chrome cap (after a clean :whistle:) and you'll see the screw underneath it. Just remember to line the seat up properly first before re-tightening.
Thanks Madrab, I tried to prise it off, but it feels like it's fastened to something and I didn't want to break it. Should I just go ahead and force it?

It's a thin metal cover over a piece of plastic, so just try to catch the outside edge of it with a plain screwdriver, it should just pop up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back