Help - toilet seat loose but fixing threaded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our toilet seat completely came off its hinges - I've managed to get it back on, but the fixing on one side is very loose and shifts around from side to side so it will happen again. It's one of those ones where a nut and bolt go through to underneath - however part of that fixing is threaded so I can't remove all the bits to get at it to tighten it. I'll take a photo - but any ideas please?

thanks

1st photo - shows threaded allan key bolt
2nd photo - shows effect on other side

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-07-07 at 08.57.00(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-07 at 08.57.00(1).jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 734
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-07-07 at 08.57.00.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-07-07 at 08.57.00.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,363
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks - it probably does, but I can't remove the hinge to get at the cover underneath because that allan key bolt appears to be threaded. Any ideas how I can undo a threaded bolt?

Not sure what you mean, but if you undo the Allen key screw the whole seat should some off, then you may have to undo form underneath and access it that way. It shouldn’t take long to do.

Sponsored Links
In your photo you can see a small grub screw in the elbow of the chrome bracket. Undo this with a hex key and don't lose it. Do same with other side and then seat should lift off, leaving you with 2 posts.
Prise up the chrome decorative discs/caps and this should reveal fixings that go through the holes in the pan to secure the seat hinges to the pan.
If the pan is of a concealed variety (ie you can't get to the underneath of the seat fixings then you'll need to pull up on the fixings to trap the backnut mechanism to the underside of the pan whilst screwing it down from the top using either a hex key or a screwdriver. Get the seat and decor caps off and then post a photo, we can then advise further. :)

Thank you all for your replies!
Madrab that's exactly it - the allan key won't grip as the internal hex (I'm learning) of the grub screw is rounded out. I think I used the wrong phrase!
Dilalio/Undertrained because I can't take off the top bit, I can't prise up the hub cap. Do I somehow have to cut it off and get a whole replacement or is there a way to get the broken grub screw out? thanks

allan key won't grip

Are you using a metric or an imperial? Try the other. If it's a tight fit you might succeed by tapping it lightly in (if you don't mind damaging it)

Sometimes you think it's an allen socket but it's really a Torx or something. You need a sharp eye and a torch, preferably looking at an undamaged screw, to be sure.

Thanks JohnD - I've no idea but I'll have a look and see if I can get the opposite, good shout. I tried a Torx as I had one to hand but that didn't work. The other side was an Allan key which worked fine, not sure how this one got damaged. Thank you

One thing that might work is a slotted precision screwdriver with a head big enough to fit the gap so it's a tight fit.

It all depends on how damaged the hex is. If the same allen key that fits the other side doesn't grip this one then chances are it will be rounded, possibly when it was installed.

Not many options that won't either destroy the fitting or at least the grub screw I'm afraid.

To avoid future problems I'd be looking to replace the seat and fittings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back