Toilet slow to drain at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right forum.

Our ground floor toilet has started to drain slowly, but only in the evenings. First thing in the morning, it drains normally. The house is then empty during the day and by the time we get home from work, water sits high in the bowl when flushed. Following morning when we wake up, water level is back to normal and toilet flushes properly.

Because of the daily cycle, I'm wondering if this is a blockage out in the sewers rather than our toilet.

Should I contact the water board about this? Or should I get someone in to check our toilet first?

Thanks!
Burt

Sponsored Links
Blockage draining slowly away during the night when unused, then slowly filling up during the day time usage, filled up by evening.

Blockage draining slowly away during the night when unused, then slowly filling up during the day time usage, filled up by evening.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll try to check manhole like HERTS suggests, there's one on my drive which might be it or do I need to find the one out on the road?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll try to check manhole like HERTS suggests, there's one on my drive which might be it or do I need to find the one out on the road?

No, do not touch the one in the road, unless it is your road. Start at the nearest one to the toilet. If you have a combined with other properties manhole, your water authority will usually be responsible for sorting it.

Be careful though, some are extremely heavy, like the concrete type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back