Toilet smells

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Started getting some nasty smells in the bathroom. I think they're coming from the toilet plumbing. Does this look right? At first I thought that the flexible connector/pipe had come loose from the hard grey soil pipe it joins on to. I thought that I had to jam it on to provide a tight friction join. But I can't do it, and it doesn't really look like that it's possible. On the other hand, surely smells would escape from a join that was not airtight. What do you think?

Attachments

• Toilet1(2).gif
    Toilet1(2).gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Doesn't the flexi-connector have flexible sealing fins engaging the inner wall of the soil pipe?

The smells I come across most frequently come from basin/bath/shower waste traps, when the wind blows the water out and they need more adding.

Reactions: CBW
Doesn't the flexi-connector have flexible sealing fins engaging the inner wall of the soil pipe
Right, didn't know about them. Anyway they're not there. If I pull out the flexi completely and look into the soil pipe I see a rubber ring sitting in the pipe. It looks like it may have been a kind of gasket/O-ring put over the flexi pipe end to form the seal when pushed into the soil pipe. Perhaps it's slipped off. I'll have a play around in a bit. Thanks for that.

Sponsored Links
The smells I come across most frequently come from basin/bath/shower waste traps, when the wind blows the water out and they need more adding.
Yea, I understand that, but at the mo I don't think it's from there.

Do you have a vented stack or air admittance valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back