Toilet trickles water non stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
We have just moved into a property and I have noticed that LONG after a flush of the toilet that there seems to be a small amount of water trickling into the loo. Is this a special kind of toilet that is meant to do this or is this a small problem. I can imagine that this is a problem myself and is going to reflect this in my water bills.

Thank you very much.
Specialbeat

Sponsored Links
It may have an internal overflow that is running 'cos the inlet valve hasn't shut down after a flush.

Take off the lid. With some you have to unscrew the silver ring surrounding the push- button. The flap valve is in the middle. the ball-valve to one side. In the middle of the flap valve is a hole. Does the water overflow that? If so change the ball valve, or try to adjust it so the water level is a little lower. If not, turn off the water,then flush. Try to gently twist the flap-valve, some will demount. If it does inspect the black rubber washer. It might have a bit of grit on the washer or its seating, or the washer has perished. If the suite has a name, try to contact the manufacturers, preferably with a photo. This way you can still use the thing while you wait for a replacement, which will be an easy job. The alternative will be to take off the cistern and replace the whole valve which can cause problems, there are a lot of ways to come unstuck, rusted nuts, rubber donuts perished between the pan and the cistern etc. It annoys the hell out of me that they won't standardise things like this, it's only a 2p washer, but you try finding a perfect match!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back