Water trickle into toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

I have just moved into a house with an enclosed toilet unit.

The toilet bowl has a fairly continous trickle of water entering the toilet bowl and subsequently triggers the pump in the loft to fill the tank.

I have taken the unit apart and i am now fairly sure what the problem is.

From the flush button their is a small clear tube of plastic with a small set of bellows on the end. The bellows 'hook' onto the egg shapped piece of plastic that goes down then you press the flush button.

I believe the bellows are the problem as they dont appear to allow the egg shapped piece of plastic to come fully back up and hence does not fully shut off.

I contacted Ideal Standard (as the toilet was made by them) and they sent a replacment set of bellows but its not the same make/model.

Anyone know of a way of finding out the part i need?

Would anyone be willing to identify the parts i need if i took pictures?

Help!

:)

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Take the pics and post them, I'm sure someone out there will identify them for you...... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

If its the blue and white flush valve then bin it and fit another make.

Theres a design fault - the mouldings are out of tolerance and the lower part of the flush valve doesn't drop down enough to seal properly - its sometimes posible to modify them slightly though.

Ok.... hoping you guys can help

First picture is what i believe is the problem.... i dont believe the bellows is allowing the bit of plastic (technical huh) to come back up.

Bathroom001-1.jpg

this is the bit of plastic that the bellow presses down and (i believe) the bit that is not coming back up fully.

Bathroom003-2.jpg

Bathroom004.jpg

Bathroom006-1.jpg

Bottom of the bit of plastic... looks in good condition.

Bathroom007.jpg

The bit of plastic sits in a small basket to keep it in place and i managed to get the camera inside to take a picture of it...

Bathroom005-1.jpg

Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the trickle? Could it be the bellow not retracting fully? Where can i get new bellows if so?

If not the bellow anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks all :)

Wayne

Beans-on-Toast said:
Take the pics and post them, I'm sure someone out there will identify them for you...... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
Ok, now i am wondering if this bit could be to blame in that it does not fully seal of the water from getting into the bowl...

Does this sound possible? Where can i get a replacement?

Bathroom003-2.jpg

This looks like a Grohe cistern. Grohe are German but you can get parts in this country. See that green part at the bottom of the dump valve? Can you pull it out as a part? If so then this sounds like a problem I had a while back. We fit furniture made by a company called 'Utopia'. They had a few problems with the cisterns like you described and it ended up being a design fault. They sent out a new part - that green section - and it just clipped in place and sorted it out. They have since changed over to another make though. I have called them a few times and they sent out the part no questions. Play dumb and give them a call.

Thanks for that... i have e-mailed them. Hopefully they will come back to me otherwise i will call them also.

I was not able to take out the green part but your advice is the nearest i have come to solving the problem so i will work towards it :)

Do you know of any websites that i might be able to purchase something simlar.

grrinc said:
This looks like a Grohe cistern. Grohe are German but you can get parts in this country. See that green part at the bottom of the dump valve? Can you pull it out as a part? If so then this sounds like a problem I had a while back. We fit furniture made by a company called 'Utopia'. They had a few problems with the cisterns like you described and it ended up being a design fault. They sent out a new part - that green section - and it just clipped in place and sorted it out. They have since changed over to another make though. I have called them a few times and they sent out the part no questions. Play dumb and give them a call.

That dump valve is unique to that cistern. I doubt if you will be able to buy any standard parts. If you cant get the right part, chances are you will need a whole new cistern. It looks as though your cistern now is a rear entry ( oohh-eeerrr!!! ), so a bit of extra plumbing may be in order. See what Grohe say and post back.

Hi, did this sort out the problem with your toilet because i am having the self same problem. I have just tried fitting a new dump valve to replace the green bit but the water is still leaking into the bowl. Does this part just sit in the bottom or is it fixed in some way? Thanks

I too have exactly the same problem!

Thinking i might have to replace this valve with a whole new set from B&Q but would prefer to get a new Grohe valve so that i know it all fits together.

Anyone know where i can get one? Or what i should do?

Many thanks,

Hi I am also having the same issue with this system
if you find a way to solve the problem let me know

I am sure that the green bit should fit into the bottom of the tank some how it just seems to sit on the top and not connect very well

a1bacca said:
Hi, did this sort out the problem with your toilet

DelBoy10 said:
I too have exactly the same problem!

tipchicken said:
Hi I am also having the same issue with this system

I hate to tell you this, but wedmonds (the OP) Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 Posted this question over 1 year ago and only made 4 posts

there is a forum rule called rule 20 which says "20) Do not hi-jack posts

(Hi jacking, is adding your question to a post you did not start, it causes confusion)"

I work for Grohe and was interested to read the comments regarding leaking cisterns. We have a fault finding guide which may be of use to people, and my dept accept phone calls to assist customers on 0871 200 3414, option 5, option 2.

I also have a wall cistern by Grohe that leaks and what i found was that the seal that prevents the water from going into the tank failed. it is a dual seal that came undone within the first two years. It is difficult, if not impossible, to repair by yourself and a replacement needs to be ordered from grohe. There amy be a chance to replace it with a non standard seal as i am sure that a replacement of the same part will last only around 2 years and then have to be replaced again. This is definitely a design flaw and hopefully it is something that they will address.

If its the blue and white flush valve then bin it and fit another make.

Theres a design fault - the mouldings are out of tolerance and the lower part of the flush valve doesn't drop down enough to seal properly - its sometimes posible to modify them slightly though.

is this the screwfix blue and white one you are talking about?? i fitted a red and black coloured one from b & q and it was really good. quite flimsy, i mean you need to be careful not to break it when fitting - but works really well!!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back