Toilet vent into attic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Hoping this is the right section and not roofing...

We recently moved into a new build house. I finally got chance to have a look in the attic the other day and I'm a little confused.

The en suite toilet/waste seems to have a vent coming up through the ceiling and out the roof as expected. The downstairs toilet and main bathroom toilet seem to be another matter (they're above/below each other so assuming they're shared).

The thing is, they don't seem to vent out the roof? There is a white pipe popping up and a sellotaped top:

DSCN1321-L.jpg

I'm going to ask them about the sellotaped bit as it looks like a bodge job, but should this be vented this way? Is there a chance theres a pipe below the insulation leading to the same vent through the roof?

Vent for central heating and en suite waste:
IMG_20131206_213125-M.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ahh ok, so this is a safe way for the toilet/taps etc. to be vented? Assuming it shouldn't be taped on like that though?

Thanks for the reply

It is how it is done on lot's of new builds, planned by some dick head 200 miles away.

New builds are so poorly designed and built, it is insane what BCOs pass, but that is where future economy lies i guess, fixing this stuff up.

Sponsored Links
It's not a vent - It's an air admission valve. (It lets air into the system but not out).

Or at least it should be : I'm afraid yours looks like a right bodge job....

Apprentice thinking every pipe pops off, silicone, no way will this hold ect

It's not a vent - It's an air admission valve. (It lets air into the system but not out).

Or at least it should be : I'm afraid yours looks like a right bodge job....

Yup, not joking. Found an empty cider can under the shower the other day... I think they were all drunk when putting this place together :(

Personally I'd check it, if it's a poor fit (hence the tape) then either replace or extend the pipework to tee into the vent section on the other stack.

Personally I'd check it, if it's a poor fit (hence the tape) then either replace or extend the pipework to tee into the vent section on the other stack.

We only moved in about 2 months ago, so all this should be covered under warranty so will be getting them to do this.

The other pipework is literally the other corner of the house, so would be a long pipe across the entire loft space.

If that's the quality of the workmanship you can see, then I dread to think what other horrors you cant see..... Not a Persimmon home by any chance?

If you can get someone to sort it under warranty great. If not just fit a properly sized air admission valve to the end of the pipe and it'll be fine - Take the tape off and have a proper look at what's there. If there's no valve fitted (or the valve size is wrong for the bore of the pipe) you can buy a new air admission valve fairly cheaply from a builders merchant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back