Toilet ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a toilet under the stairs does the ducting vent need to taken outside? Previously the ducting was vented in between the floorboards but looks as if the ducting was cut in the middle and never made it all the way out. Although from the outside it looks like there was a vent and the wall was bricked up.

What is the regulation? It only has a toilet and basin in there.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When was the toilet installed? I had exactly this, it rarely was an issue. Ideally it would vent to an outside wall. Projects is the wrong section of the forum.

Sponsored Links
When was the toilet installed? I had exactly this, it rarely was an issue. Ideally it would vent to an outside wall. Projects is the wrong section of the forum.
The toilet has been there since the house was built 25 years ago. We have been doing other renovations and discovered the ducting ends in between the floorboards and ceiling. There is no shower so I don't expect moisture but more worried about the odours. As we've been ripping out some of the plasterboard in there we don't use it so smells stagnate from the toilet and basin not being used and then permeates through the house. I can't remember if this was happening before we opened it all up.

I would prefer to take the ducting all the way out but my husband wants to leave it in venting in between floor and ceiling because it's easier.

I wouldn't know we have only been in the house for 5 years. In that time we only noticed the smells get bad when we stopped using it and opened up some of the pipework boxing. I do wonder though if sometimes when the house smelt stale was it actually due to the ducting not venting all the way out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back