Toilet waste and separate SVP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in the 50's, and there is a SVP that comes out from the ground and goes to above roof level.

3ft away from this is the outlet from the toilet, which comes out of the wall, and straight down into the ground.

There is a drain approx 1m away from both of these.

Since moving in, and discovering the basin and bath waste were both connected to 1 1/4" copper pipes that also ran down into the ground, we have re-routed these into the side of the toilet waste outlet. This causes some noise when the toilet is flushed when, urm, 'full'!

Is there any reason for this arrangement? I'd have expected the toilet to just be connected into the SVP, so it could expel air easily. Is it just a bad job, or were things done differently back then?

The SVP connection into the drain is an inch or 2 higher than the toilet waste, and other waste coming from the back of the house.

If photos will help, I can upload.

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Is it a bungalow? Lots of those seem to have the toilet pipework on the inside and then a separate vent on the outside.

Maybe yours had some trouble on the internal pipework so they rerouted out through the wall?

Is it a bungalow? Lots of those seem to have the toilet pipework on the inside and then a separate vent on the outside.

Maybe yours had some trouble on the internal pipework so they rerouted out through the wall?

It is a bungalow indeed.

All our pipework is on the outside, and it seems that it was always that way - when the bathroom was gutted I didn't see any patched up holes in the concrete floor...

Possibly relevant, it used to have a septic tank, until connection to mains drains in the mid 60's....

Maybe it’s a bungalow thing then. It’s definitely common for them to have a separate vent but I have no idea why.

Sponsored Links
Maybe it’s a bungalow thing then. It’s definitely common for them to have a separate vent but I have no idea why.
Indeed so my neighbour had a asbestos cement one right outside my front door - all the same round the estate. So I kindly took it down for him and set up a new one on my side taking my kitchen waste and going up to vent in plastic. It was Just a 60's way of doing things ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back