Toilet waste pipe is too high...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

I'm finally getting round to doing the bathroom, mainly cos i'm getting fed up with the suite sitting in my garage.

I've removed the old high level cisterned bog, and now realise that the soil pipe is about 2" higher than the soil outlet on the new pan. Raising the pan on a 2" base isn't really a grand idea: you'd need a step ladder to get onto the loo.

I'm presuming that it's not ok to use some of the various extensions and adaptors to go upwars from the toilet to the soil pipe? That would result in too high water level in the pan, and possible de ja poo.

Problem is that the soil pipe is a cast iron branch from a cast iron soil stack. And the soil stack actually runs inside the utility room at the ground floor level; it's only free air at first floor level. Nothing else is attached to the soil stack, just this toilet. Where the soil stack goes through the utility room it's all boxed off with plasterboard and neat and so on, so I really really don't want to have to replace the whole lot.

Are there methods of properly joining plastic soil pipes onto cast iron? If so, then I could cut the old pipe above the utility room roof, and remake the top half in plastic, with the branch into the bathroom for the toilet at the correct height.

If it is possible to do it properly like this; please can you recommend what fittings are appropriate.

Thanks

slip.

PS:

The sink and bath waste go out the wall and meet in a hopper mounted on the wall outside, the hopper drains through rainwater type pipe down the side of the utility room into a open gulley. Is that ok? or should these wastes join the soil stack. Not sure i've seen wastes plumbed like this before.

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
The sink and bath waste go out the wall and meet in a hopper mounted on the wall outside, the hopper drains through rainwater type pipe down the side of the utility room into a open gulley. Is that ok? or should these wastes join the soil stack. Not sure i've seen wastes plumbed like this before.

Mine does the same fella - ditto the rest of my street... Soil pipe / drain pipe - they all end up in the same pipe underground (mostly) so shouldn't be a problem

slippyr4 said:
Are there methods of properly joining plastic soil pipes onto cast iron? If so, then I could cut the old pipe above the utility room roof, and remake the top half in plastic, with the branch into the bathroom for the toilet at the correct height.

If it is possible to do it properly like this; please can you recommend what fittings are appropriate.

Hmmm - I'm sure they exist (some sort of collar??) but you might just want to go for broke and replace the whole thing - in for a penny and all that :)

You only need a skirting ladder for 2 inches :LOL: .Plumbers merchant will have rubber collars to go over pipes (with jubilee clips to secure.screwfix too probably. :idea:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back