Toilet waste pipe queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time posting, but have dawdled on here for years and found it very helpful.
We've just bought a Victorian terraced house and found a leak in the ground floor toilet, most notably in the pan connector(?) Part of what I'd like to figure out is the terminology around the parts that may need replacing.

Here's a pic of the connector - https://photos.app.goo.gl/6GwtZJtdeCMnV41i6

What I'm specifically curious about is the Green/Brown thing the flexible pan connector plugs into. I'd call it the waste pipe but is there more specific terminology? What's it likely to be made of and how easy would it be to replace, please?

Although it isn't where the leak originates, it's flaking around the edges and I don't want to call a plumber to replace the pan connector if this other thing is likely to fail soon after; may as well do them both at once!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Tap it, is it plastic or clay? It looks like it could be an 4" underground soil pipe connector that'll be connected to the soil system under the floor. Similar to this :-

images
desc5big_8849Coupler-DS.jpg

+1 for that, looks to me like a 110mm drain socket that's been painted to match the wall. The flaking is probably just the paint coming off, emulsion wont stick very well to plastic, especially if it gets damp. You wont be able to replace it without taking up the floor around it, there's likely the same again buried under the floor.

Waste pipes take the flow from sinks, basins, baths, etc, in fact all the sanitary appliances found in a domestic dwelling apart for the WC. The outlet pipework from a WC, above ground is known as the 'soil' pipe. Once below ground though it changes to a 'drain' or 'sewer'.

Maybe it’s a socket without a short piece of pipe in it? That would leak because the pan connector would be slightly loose.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much.
Madrab, it definitely feels like rubber.

Hugh, it hadn't occurred to me that the green could be paint! They certainly did some odd things with the decor but pulling the floor up is a step too far right now, so if it's sound we'll leave it, and perhaps buy a collar to cover some of it up. Thanks also for the terminology.

Ian, I'm a novice so afraid I don't know what you mean by socket. The leak doesn't seeem to be coming from the green/brown soil pipe; it's from where the flexible pan connector meets the toilet itself (see https://photos.app.goo.gl/JupEwjuZiXoNn1QY6 for a better view). There's a big tear in the upper part of the flexible connector (covered by the red tape) so I assume it's all just an issue of age, and needs replacing.
The bathroom was added in 1992 and I don't think it's been updated since. 27 years seems like a decent lifespan for one of those!

Hi SFK,
Yes, ultimately I think we are. I just wanted to A) know what the soil pipe is actually called and B) check that it didn't need replacing at the same time.
I have no plumbing experience so will get someone in to do it! Better that than an emergency call out if I botch it.

You can’t really go wrong swapping one of those like for like.

I figue I'll watch someone do it and learn a good bit for the next time! Plus, we're going to need a plumber for some other things down the line, so it'll be a chance to audition. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back