Toilet waste questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 137318
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137318

I'm putting in a new ensuite bathroom and I've worked out that I can avoid a macerator type toilet in favour of 100mm pipe. (I can drop 40mm per metre - which appears to be the recommended drop).

I have a few questions though:

1.) I need to make a right angled turn but I'm quite fortunate that the ensuite is part of an extension and the 8" joists run in my favour - meaning the waste runs 'with' the joists both ways (i.e. no joist cutting) which is handy... Anyway, I intend to achieve this right turn with this //www.diynot.com/shop/Adjustable_Bend_Black/76709. but I notice there is no facility for rodding on this bend. Are there any other options to make a 90 degree turn that allow rodding?

2.) Is a 90 degree turn OK for a soil pipe? I'm worried that it's a bit of a tight turn for the solids to handle - even though I can still drop at the prescribed rate.

3.) Flexible waste that connects to the actual pan.... I bought one in B&Q and the more I look at it the more I'm convinced it will fill up with solids in the flexible parts - and block. If no one has seen these before, the only way I can describe it is that it looks like the vent pipe that you'd use for extractor fans in the bathroom. Am I worrying needlessly? Has anyone successfully used these before?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you don`t want rodding acess inside - and probably not outside unless the drain clearing guy is a scatologist :eek: You just want a bend as large a radius as you can fit in 90 degrees. It`s not the "solids" that are a problem ...it`s other things that can cause blockages. Flex waste - use it if there is no neater solution . it`ll only block in the hollows and will slide through nicely when they are filled ;) so it`s a good thing for really awkward installs

Wow -that was a quick response - I hadn't even posted my diagram yet - which incidentially was this

Anyway - much appreciated! After installation I'll change to a high fibre diet to 'fill in the gaps' as you say. ;)

I'd second Nige's advice. Use 2x 45deg bends if possible to make the turn. Slower the bend, better the chances of not having problems! If its installed properly in the first place, hopefully you wont have to rod it! :LOL:

Again, flexi pan connector if a must, but will a rigid version be able to do the job? I never liked them in the first place, but then saw one that had actually 'popped out' where it went into the drain in the floor. Drain had blocked, pressure when W.C. was flushed was sufficient to push it out. Soon had that out and replaced with a rigid version..... :D

Sponsored Links
Now ive seen the diagram i'd look at using an access branch where the ensuite joins the stack. Will provide point of access should the worst happen.....

many thanks for your quick responses :)

One final Q. - Push-Fit or solvent weld? What's best?

Solvent looks neater IMO, also can be easier if you are cutting a hole through the wall with core bit, the sockets are slimmer than pushfit. However, no option for adjustments with solvent weld, once its glued its staying there!!!!! :LOL:

If you want to use solvent, feel free to gimme a PM with requirements. I have a shedload of fittings gathering dust.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back