WAste runs for Shower and Wash Basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Currently planning the waste runs for ensuite bathroom in loft conversion. Waste run for shower will be approx 2m then turn 90 degrees followed by another 2m to external wall, through wall, drop vertically approx 1m and then into the side of the soil stack (5m total). Basin run will be 3m then turn 90 degrees followed by another 2m to external wall, through, wall drop vertically approx 1m and then into the side of the soil stack (6m total).

Cannot see any way of doing it shorter as pipes will have to go below floor level due to the cramped layout and I don't want to cut any holes through joists.

Any advice on pipe sizes, traps, fall appreciated. Steve.

Sponsored Links
Love the drawing :eek: . Rearrange the sanitaryware/shower and use the stairwell to cross to the outside wall . Use Hep V O waste valves on the basin and shower .

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately can't rearrange as this is all in a sloping dutch hip roof and the shower will only go in that spot which then means the toilet and basin have to go where they are shown. Had a think about this and have come up with the following.

RED - Toilet waste 110mm, runs to external wall then drops approx 1m and then runs with a slight fall to the right into the side of existing soil stack. Will this pipe need to be vented as it exits the external wall? Total length including drops approx 7.5 metres

GREEN - Basin waste 40mm, runs from below the pedestal trap at a low level of approx 18 inches with a slight fall through the stud wall 2 sides of the shower area and then drops into the top of the 110mm pipe. Total length of 40mm pipe approx 2.8 metres. Any idea what size studs would be needed to fit the 40mm pipe in the wall? is this standard practise?

BLUE - Shower waste 40mm, runs sub-floor then turns 90 degrees through a hole drilled in the centre line of the 170mm joist. This then goes through the external wall and drops a small amount before a 90 degree turn to the left to connect to the 110mm vertical pipe.

How does this all sound? Can't see any way of doing it any simpler/shorter.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately can't rearrange as this is all in a sloping dutch hip roof and How does this all sound? Can't see any way of doing it any simpler/shorter.

[]
RED -could a durgo be fitted behind the WC in the void ? GREEN - run through the stud wall , presumably through the uprights - I would use 4x2 or 5x2 if it`ll fit , then screw and glue WBP ply over the face to strenthen the wall and act as a backing for the shower cubicle tiling . BLUE sounds OK - Hep V O waste valves on basin and shower wastes - cleaning eyes where the come outside - stub stack vertically , if you can get the Durgo in where I suggested ;)

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately can't rearrange as this is all in a sloping dutch hip roof and How does this all sound? Can't see any way of doing it any simpler/shorter.

[]
RED -could a durgo be fitted behind the WC in the void ? GREEN - run through the stud wall , presumably through the uprights - I would use 4x2 or 5x2 if it`ll fit , then screw and glue WBP ply over the face to strenthen the wall and act as a backing for the shower cubicle tiling . BLUE sounds OK - Hep V O waste valves on basin and shower wastes - cleaning eyes where the come outside - stub stack vertically , if you can get the Durgo in where I suggested ;)

I agree with Nige, also confirm what your doing with LABC........... ;)

Hi, Thanks for the detailed replies. Regarding the Durgo in the void, how high does it have to be fitted? How would it be fitted? Am I right in thinking that I would put in a vertical stub off the main pipe via a T? How far from the toilet can i place the T?

Also regarding the HepVO's is there a special type for the shower? Or do you use it in-line with a standard shower trap? How reliable are they on showers considering it will be under a tiled floor?

Regarding the stub stack outside, will that have to go above the eaves ?Will the Durgo still be needed as well as the stub stack outside?

Thanks in advance for all help. Steve.

PS. This drawing has already been approved by the LABC just trying to make sure that the plumbing gets done right as the original drawing has no details of how to do it.

Hi, Thanks for the detailed replies. Regarding the Durgo in the void, how high does it have to be fitted? How would it be fitted? Am I right in thinking that I would put in a vertical stub off the main pipe via a T? How far from the toilet can i place the T?

I mean a 92.5 degree branch not 'T' excuse my lack of knowledge

Also regarding the HepVO's is there a special type for the shower? Or do you use it in-line with a standard shower trap?

I got the answer, no additional trap needed, fit horizontally.

How reliable are they on showers considering it will be under a tiled floor?

Regarding the stub stack outside, will that have to go above the eaves ?Will the Durgo still be needed as well as the stub stack outside?

Thanks in advance for all help. Steve.

PS. This drawing has already been approved by the LABC just trying to make sure that the plumbing gets done right as the original drawing has no details of how to do it.

Don`t mind your lack of knowledge ;) It`s aT on water pipes and a branch on drainage , just the way it is . But ideally you need to discharge the WC into a Vertical branch with a bend under it - the the durgo on top -@ a level above the basin rim - If you have the WC into a horizontal branch , you have problems with solids sticking :eek: . Have you got enough room in the void for this setup ? - If not there are other ways . It`s gone all 3D now ;)

Thanks Nige, I've put another picture up of the side view. Interested to know alternative ways of doing this. I think that the Durgo would go in the void behind the toilet but the waste pipe from the toilet will have to go horizontal to the wall before it can drop. Might be able to drop a few inches at first but that's all, would it be worth it? Would the Durgo valve need to be accessible at all? How close would it need to be to the toilet, directly behind, foot to the side or further along? Just thinking of the best place to put an access panel if required.

That`s fine - Forget the Durgo ;) - it`s back to the new stack outside . Simple bend from the WC and run in void . Then the new stack could be run up the wall and vented above the gutter- but if it`s too close to an opening (roof) window then you could put a special outside durgo there . More to it than meets the eye :LOL: Asthetics and Function are what it`s all about. Also re. the shower Hep Valve ,you can use it inline with a trap on the shower- the trays come with large outlets for vortex traps that are physically small in depth but handle lots of water - the hep Valve will take care of any back flow of air ( smells) even if the trap is pulled . Hidden waste pipes generally - if you can support wastes with a "lay board" along their length and put in some acess tees for cleaning - that`s good for the future - don`t go mad making acess holes in walls etc. just have cleaning points where you can get @ them .

Thanks again for the help. Another question about the basin waste, I read the regs and was going to use 40mm due to the approx 3 metre length. By using the HepVo will I be able to use 32mm waste pipe for that? which will be easier to fit inside the stud wall.

Also the vented stub stack, does that have to go above eaves level or will it be OK under the eaves as long as it's 900mm above the highest opening window (within 3 metres). Do you have to take into account next doors opening windows if within 3 metres? Also we will be adding ventilated soffit strip (to ventilate between tiles and the insulation below) which will then be right next to the soil pipe vent cap. Will that be a problem? Will try and do another photo tonight to make things clearer. Steve.

Go with 32mm ;) If you go with the vented stub - remember drain smells will come from it ;)Avoid any opening within 3m. - consider the Outside Durgo , frostproof aparently . Might cost the same as bends over the gutter etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back