Toilet waste via victorian clay floor pipe - need advice and inspiration for a new toilet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

New here - nice to meet you all!

We have a toilet in our utility room/downstairs bathroom that we would very much like to replace. We want to re-tile and overhaul the whole space.

Our house was build in 1875, this toilet is on the ground floor and originally was the only bathroom. We now have a new bathroom/toliet etc on first floor.

I am guessing we would need to purchase another compact toilet with waste exit at rear, and position it in a similar place - so our options are limited. I am looking to DIY the whole renovation as much as possible, and ideally don't want to fit a new waste pipe due to cost/my competence.

I would really appreciate advice on what is possible, and the best way to connect a new toilet to this large diameter clay pipe. The current install seems to use some kind of putty, which looks messy, is hard to clean and generally isn't ideal.

Photos attached - any advice appreciated.

thanks, Dan

PHOTO-2023-02-10-09-56-12.jpg

PHOTO-2023-02-10-09-56-13.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can get a modern WC pan with the soil pipe emerging vertically to go through the floor. Often called a "bottom outlet" pan. Not the horizontal outlet. You will then not need the elbow and jt will be neater and less bulky.

I have a Twyfords E100 which has a very good flush, there are a few others around. It encloses and conceals the floor socket.

Unbranded foreign import WCs often have a poor flush.

You need to know the exact measurement of the centre of the floor socket from the wall, to get the correct fit. From memory I think mine was about ten inches.

You can get a plastic collar with rubber fins to fit it.

Try not to break your old clay collar, or to allow shards to fall down the pipe.

Yours does look strangely tight to the side wall. Maybe you can alter the wall, or rotate the pan. There are a few desjgned to go in a corner.

I think it was the super or de luxe model or something that has a better shroud.

Also rebranded As Geberit

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back