toilet waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a downstairs loo (it is being relocated). How should I go about capping off the waste pipe that is in the floor? The existing toilet seems to have a ceramic down pipe which has been cemented into this waste pipe. The diameter is much wider than a normal waste pipe, hence why the toilet appears to have been cemented in place. My first thought is to just in fill the hole with concrete, since the pipe is only used by the loo. I just wonder if this would provide sufficient insulation from gases in the pipe?

Sponsored Links
HI

concrete is fine but make sure it does not go too far. causing a blockage further away.

The larger diameter is the socket of the earthenware pipe. Does it project a couple of inches above the floor level? If so i'm sure you intend to remove it by grinding it off flush at floor?

You will need to block the pipe with something to prevent the concrete used to seal the end getting too far down the pipe.

The larger diameter is the socket of the earthenware pipe. Does it project a couple of inches above the floor level? If so i'm sure you intend to remove it by grinding it off flush at floor?

You will need to block the pipe with something to prevent the concrete used to seal the end getting too far down the pipe.

Spot on. Yes I intend to grind it flush. I was thinking of lining the inside of the pipe with a rubble sack and filling the sack with the concrete as opposed to filling the pipe directly. The contour of the pipe should keep the sack in place when the concrete sets, then I can cut off the excess plastic. Does this sound like a suitable solution?

Sponsored Links
Seems like a good idea. However you could fill with concrete to about 1" below surface and cut the bag at that level when concrete has set. Then fill level with a sand cement mix to give a smoother surface without the cut edge of the bag showing at the surface.

Seems like a good idea. However you could fill with concrete to about 2" below surface and cut the bag at that level when concrete has set. Then fill level with a sand cement mix to give a smoother surface without the cut edge of the bag showing at the surface. This would also give a better seal as you might get folds in the bag that would give pathways for sewer gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back