Told I need bifold doors treatment - a con?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I am currently trying to buy some aluminum bifold doors for a self-managed kitchen extension build; got a fair few quotes and went to purchase with one company who have now asked me if I live within 5 miles of the ocean (I technically) do so I said yes. They now are saying they have to apply a marine coating to my doors to protect against the salt which is an extra fee and said that without it they would corrode and the warranty wouldn't apply. I'm trying to work out if this is a con or not, so am reserving judgement till hopefully some helpful people can give me their thoughts. I see bifolds all the time on the coast, so do I assume they all have this coating? I'm about 1km from a tidal estuary (its not very exposed as its a built up area) but realistically about 12km before that estuary hits the ocean itself. The treatment will cost a fair bit more and add weeks onto my delivery so just want to make sure it's worth it.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think it's a thicker coating of the same paint but I will ask, thanks

Send them an email thanking them for their quote which you are politely declining because too expensive compared to others.
The revised quote will follow almost immediately.

Sponsored Links
My daughter is in the process of buying a house with large folding multi panel patio doors. They were only installed 2 years ago and the outside frame coating is already peeling away badly. The house is on a high windswept location 3 miles from the coast. She's still waiting for confirmation of who installed them and whether any warranty exists. We probably wont know what caused the coating failure until its flagged up with the installers/manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back