Tomorrow Mathew, I shall be a K-rend expert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title. What could possibly go wrong? Got a hawk, trowel and mixing paddle..... job’s as good as done in my book.

Sponsored Links
So...... I’m an expert of course(y)

Bloody hard work. The base coat with mesh was the easier part. Did that yesterday. Nice thin coat with mesh troweled in. Kind of makes it flat and you can really work it. Today did the topcoat of K rend silicone. Christ! 10 minutes mixing time per bag (something about additives needing dissolving) and a bugger to get flat. You can easily be drawn in to faffing with it. Anyhow went off pretty quick. Thought the scratching back would be a doddle. Took me hours. My arms is f****d. Finished the last bit not long ago when the light was fading fast. The photo looks a lot lighter than it was. Even considered using a torch. Tomorrow will be the day of reconning in the light.

Attachments

• 7A0BD03B-5EFA-4603-B7BF-6A487509DC52.jpeg
    7A0BD03B-5EFA-4603-B7BF-6A487509DC52.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 444
  • E3B894E3-AB7A-48E3-BFF6-5FBA4E6F942B.jpeg
    E3B894E3-AB7A-48E3-BFF6-5FBA4E6F942B.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 410
Sponsored Links
That looks really good, well done for giving it a go. Are they piles of dust on the floor from scratching it?!
Did you rule if off with feather edge like you would s&c before letting it firm up?
Once again fair play for taking that on and I’m virtually certain that looks a hell of a lot better than you’d have got with painted s&c if you’ve never done it before. Keep us posted on the next bit,
Did you end up going over a s&c scratch coat in the end?

Yes, dust from scratching.

Ruled off with a serated edge that is recommended to get air pockets out. However I don't feel it's necessary. Then just trowel flat. Used their hp12 base coat but on further reading many have gone over sand and cement scratch coat. Will do that with the front I think. Cheaper. One word of advice, don't attempt to perfect the scratch the following day. Buggered a little bit up this morning. It must be done in a oner. Just need a wisteria or something planted in the middle to break up the block of colour. That and some outside lanterns.

Overall a good practice on the back. Confident the front will be bang on.

So, I am now a K rend expert to add to my other areas of one time expertise. Next is to become an expert kitchen fitter next weekend.

Attachments

• 2EE747C3-D4F5-4A07-95C0-3172E0E0B9D6.jpeg
    2EE747C3-D4F5-4A07-95C0-3172E0E0B9D6.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 332
I’d be over the moon with that, you’ve gone a cracking job. I so regret not doing this method instead of my masonary paint fiasco

To be fair having done neither sand and cement or k rend before, I can only imagine k rend is more forgiving. That scratch back is invaluable. Even if I get bored with the colour, I have a decent flat base to paint.

sorry to say this, but its awful. The lines in the close up picture are where the different mixes have gone on too slowly. they will never go and only stand out more and more. closer inspection is bound to show areas missed by nail float that will be shiny.

sorry to say this, but its awful. The lines in the close up picture are where the different mixes have gone on too slowly. they will never go and only stand out more and more. closer inspection is bound to show areas missed by nail float that will be shiny.
I’ll take your advice and do a closer inspection to see if I can find any shiney areas I missed and provide you with a full report. If you PM your address I can send it via my special PTLB delivery service.

You’ll be pleased to know I’ve moved on from k-rend now and tomorrow will become a Weberpral expert.

That’s a good point actually, it’s terrible. I’d be really gutted if I’d done that. Definitely doesn’t look really good. Take it off ASAP, before the lines start standing out more.

That’s a good point actually, it’s terrible. I’d be really gutted if I’d done that. Definitely doesn’t look really good. Take it off ASAP, before the lines start standing out more.
In fact now you mention it, there are lines appearing as I type. Getting my hammer and bolster chisel out now. Christ almighty, sod that, getting the kango out. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back