Too deep chase for pipes in breeze block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber did 160 cm, 3 cm deep and 8-10 wide sloping chase (3cm deep) for pipes in 10 cm breeze block. The wall is between my lounge and hall in WC underneath the stairs. I ha no clue about building but I read a lot and was unhappy with what he's done... But it is too late now as it's done...

I asked him to exchange copper pipes to plastic ones and bury them in mortar. Will it strengthen my wall? It is single breeze block wall, plasetered on both sides (blocks are approx 10 cm deep ) in the middle of my house, probably load bearing. House was built in 1998.

I am really worried now :(

He says people do this and have no worries and I am odd :0(

Sponsored Links
The chase is within the limits for a vertical chase specified in Approved Document A, which gives a maximum depth of 1/3 wall thickness for vertical chases and 1/6 wall thickness for horizontal chases.

I don't quite understand why he did a sloping chase, when really they should be either horizontal or vertical. Obviously, with the chase being on a slope, it's slightly outside the limits, but don't worry, it's not going to cause your wall to suddenly fail as it almost certainly has plenty of spare capacity.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back