TOO MUCH 8MM OR NOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM RUN OF 8MM HEP ON A CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM BECAUSE MY SYSTEM HAS A LOT OF THIS 8MM HEP. AND UPSTAIRS RADS WONT GET HOT, THE RADIATOR NEAREST TO THE POINT WERE THE PIPES ARRIVE UP STAIRS GETS SLIGHTLY WARM. IF I CHANGE THE UPSTAIRS TO 15MM WILL THAT GET THE UPSTAIRS WORKING . HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE

Sponsored Links
Firstly, please don't SHOUT. You're not on the mobile, you know.

Secondly, Hep2O doesn't come in 8mm. The smallest size is 10mm (OD), which is presumably what you mean.

Thirdly, I doubt whether the problem you describe has anything to do with pipe size. Think air not vented from rads, inadequate water level/pressure, air lock, sticking TRVs, etc.

IM NOT SHOUTING IVE GOT BAD SIGHT WELL YOU ARE IN CUBA I NEED YOU TO HEAR ME?
I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF ,
LAST NIGHT I CHANGED THE 10MM HEP UPSTAIRS TO 15MM HEP WHEN I RAN THE SYSTEM THE RADS UPSTAIRS GOT HOT AND THE RADS DOWN STAIRS ARE NOW COLD .
SO I THINK THAT THE REMAINING 10MM HEP DOWNSTAIRS NEEDS CHANGING.
THE RUN OF 10MM HEP DOWN STAIRS MUST BE AT LEAST 6METERS FLOWING AND 8 METERS RETURNING WHICH I THINK IS TO MUCH FOR THE BOILER .
WHEN I PULLED THE 10MM HEP OUT FROM UPSTAIRS THERE WAS 17 METERS IN TOTAL

Your system might only need balancing and I would try this before changing anymore pipework.
Details are in the reference section above.

Obviously if this does not cure it you can upgrade to 15 mm but really speaking there should be no need if your pump is working correctly and there is no blockage. :D

Sponsored Links
thnk you i turn the upstairs return vavles by 1 turn each and that made my downstairs rads to work
again thanks for all the help people like you who spend time to help people for free deserve merit THANK YOU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back