Too much pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I've had a new sink in the kitchen installed recently by a plumber, turned water off, fitted and back on again, everything working as it should. I've got a minor problem I'd appreciate advice on as it has only occurred since the sink fitting.

The monobloc mixer turns off ok at the taps, but 5mins later a heavy drip comes through the tap to the sink. It's like the tap is getting cleared of its contents, lasts a couple of seconds, then doesn't happen again until the next time the sink is fully used.

What's wierd ( to me) is that the electric shower is doing the same thing. Previously no problem, now after it is turned off 5mins later a heavy drip comes through it as above, then having cleared doesn't do it again until the next time the shower is fullly used.

The stopcock has been put back to its original position so I don't want to muck about with it unless I'm advised from this forum.

Sponsored Links
Where does the drip come from? If its from the spout then its completely normal.

Sounds perfectly normal to me

Adjusting your stopcock does not adjust your water pressure (common misconception)

Hi Guys, thanks for that, and for setting me right re the stopcock.
Being an ordinary bloke with no plumbing technicals, I thought when the tap was off then that was it, what was in the monobloc or shower head stayed where it was until the next time the tap was turned on. I can stop worrying now...cheers,I'm grateful.

Sponsored Links
The stopcock has been put back to its original position so I don't want to muck about with it unless I'm advised from this forum.

Make sure you stop cock is NOT fully "hard" open. This makes it a ball ache to close when you need to, and might also mean once it is closed becuase of some emergency event, that you can't re-open it as the gate will sieze. The method is to fully open then close in a turn or so. It won't cause a noticable pressure drop while flow is going through it.

Nozzle

It's not a Bristan tap, is it?
I bought one recently and the aerator let a good trickle of water by about a minute or so after the tap was turned off.
Really annoying.
In my case, I contacted them and they sent through a replacement aerator (they called it an anti-splash assembly) which held back the water in the spout until the next time the tap was used.
Maybe worth a call to the manufacturer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back