Too much vacuum on RDB burner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can you help. my boiler was failing to light and yesterday my engineer (very respected) did 2 things. 1) removed debris from filer where oil leaves tank, and 2) adjusted air intake to reduce amount of air which was blowing out flame. Spent a fair bt of time measuring gases and adjusting both oil pressure and air to get right co2.
all excellent and now very quiet in lighting. BUT this morning wouldnt light at all and when i held hand over air intake flexi tube it was sucking like a vacuum cleaner ( set at just below 4).

any ideas why it should be sucking so hard. I resolved it in short term by resting flexi tube opening against body of the flexi tube so reduces air and boiler lit but obviously i am now not using regulated air intake just luck of the draw. Will i need a new burner or can the air air intake part be replaced on the existing burner? will also call my excellent engineer but it is new years day and cold so not likely to get a visit!

Sponsored Links
Your measurement method is hardly valid. Call your excellent and well respected engineer. Running with a partial blockage is not a controlled approach.

if its a balanced flue. sounds like spent gasses putting flame out.

This is a question to the oil experts.

The boiler was carefully set up to run when hot at the optimum settings.

Many oil boilers are housed outside the thermal envelope of the house and over night will go down to freezing temperatures.

Could it just be the difference between the cold setting and the hot setting ( as it was adjusted for ) ?

Cars have to get over this problem by using a choke !

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is not a car and works more like a diesel which do not have chokes. I attend dozens of outside boilers, and cold starts are not a factor.

Does your blowlamp suffer starting difficulties in the cold?

This is not a car and works more like a diesel which do not have chokes. I attend dozens of outside boilers, and cold starts are not a factor.

My diesel ( car ) has glow plugs to preheat the CC and help the mixture to ignite! As a couple of them have failed it has to have multiple attempts to start in this weather.

Well, if the cold weather is not a reason why his boiler needs a richer mixture to start, then what is the problem?

Tony

if it were a gasoil / 37sec / diesel burner, then waxing can be a problem.

the problem being, lower atomisation, not a prevelant problem with 27sec kerosine / parafine.

lower nozzle sizes and increased pump pressures overcome gasoil burner problems, but are not indicated as a cure for kerosine burners, normally.

gas oil burners also use trace heating and preheaters, again rarely with kerosine burners.

generally, badly setup and badly serviced burners are the cause of bad lighting.

most problems can be resolved with a tiger loop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back