Too risky to tee off near soldered joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20230203_155852.jpg

I'm planning on teeing off these 15mm pipes. The rough line of the pipe is indicated with the loose pipe on top.

My query is the proximity to the joints to the left? The feed is the pipe on top and will be around 65mm away between the old and new joint. Even with a damp rag wrapped, is there a risk of damaging the old joint?

The return I was planning on cutting to right so there's less risk.

Sponsored Links
No real risk, as long as you solder as soon as the heat is right and don't move the pipe, you can always use a damp cloth but to the left of the old joint otherwise the joint you are trying to solder may not take properly as the pipe may not heat up properly.

I would unsolder the straight coupler on the return and use that section and make the tee there, you can always bend an offset to bring the pipe into line or use a couple of elbows.

I would unsolder the straight coupler on the return and use that section and make the tee there, you can always bend an offset to bring the pipe into line or use a couple of elbows.
Good idea although I don't have a pipe bender. I have a spring but am finding it useless to get in on my recycled copper pipe.

Also that would mean I'd have to avoid the feed where the radiator connects. I'll have a think! Probably spend all weekend procrastinating...

Is there any wiggle room on those existing pipes running across- you'll need some to fit tees.
If there is none then cut out both those straight couplers & use slip couplers for the replacement.
EDIT Spring- did you cut the tubes with a pipe slice? Have you reamed the ends out (even expensive cutters leave a bit of a lip which will jam your spring instantly)

Sponsored Links
Is there any wiggle room on those existing pipes running across- you'll need some to fit tees.
If there is none then cut out both those straight couplers & use slip couplers for the replacement.
EDIT Spring- did you cut the tubes with a pipe slice? Have you reamed the ends out (even expensive cutters leave a bit of a lip which will jam your spring instantly)
Yes, used a pipe slice. Good point, I had forgotten to ream.

What's the benefit of replacing the straight couplers? There's very little flex as to the left of the image there's a step down into the room, the pipe was bent to accommodate.

What's the benefit of replacing the straight couplers? There's very little flex as to the left of the image there's a step down into the room, the pipe was bent to accommodate.
They're a bit close for soldering yr new tee- the top one would be ok, bottom on would be a pain. Might as well cut them out, use slip couplers further away from your tees, all fresh solder so no problem sweating them at the same time.

Are you familiar with slip couplers - look em up if not.
When you put the tee(s) in you might want to aim them downwards then use street elbows (m & f) (which saves using a separate little stub of pipe) to go off at whatever angle you want.
Holding things can be a pickle. Solid core mains cable works quite well, you can make "hooks" from it or tie things temporarily.

Are you familiar with slip couplers - look em up if not.
When you put the tee(s) in you might want to aim them downwards then use street elbows (m & f) (which saves using a separate little stub of pipe) to go off at whatever angle you want.
Holding things can be a pickle. Solid core mains cable works quite well, you can make "hooks" from it or tie things temporarily.
Not slip couplers but i looked them up so I think I can see what you mean. re street elbows, yes! it was always in the plan.

They're a bit close for soldering yr new tee- the top one would be ok, bottom on would be a pain. Might as well cut them out, use slip couplers further away from your tees, all fresh solder so no problem sweating them at the same time.
yes, thats why i thought about doing the bottom one 6 inches to the right, closer to the next joist along and clipping the pipe to it.

Done! In the end there was a lot of wiggly room with the pipes so only 1 slip coupler was needed. I did worry I'd boiled some of the joints but we've had no leaks in nearly a week, and with the cold weather, plenty of heat and pressure in the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back