Tool chests, who are the good brands?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in finding pro grade tool chests 2nd hand but I'm not up on the makes in the UK, only us-made like snap on.
Who are the brands you'd see used in garages, etc in the UK that are worth keeping an eye out for? Are they a good investment compared to buying new, cheaper stuff from Halfords etc?

Sponsored Links
maybe have a look at machine mart - they do quite a few makes

snapon are in the UK

also bigdug

i notice a big difference in the cabinets that have a roller bearing rails on the drawers , rather than just slide

Reactions: CBW
As above, Baxi use Machine mart sold Clarke tool trolleys, not sure if they’re the mutts nuts, but I found them ok on a training day.

Thanks, yeah I know you can get Snap On in the UK but not sure they are a stand out brand here.

Harbor Freight are not the same quality at all as I understand it. I've seen a bunch of reviews of their stuff, in the US at least... Ok but not lifetime products

Sponsored Links
Snap on and mac are probably the biggest names over here.

What type of use do you intend ?

Personally I always say the tools earn the money, not the box.

The Halfords industrial range are ok, now called advanced I believe but well priced and offers are available throughout the year.
Mostly around bank holidays I find, bag a trade card and get discount too if you have one of the listed trades or a family member does.

Useful to know especially considering they are a 10th the price of snap-on.
I found a vintage one on FB, a son selling his late father's with tools. Includes quite a few genuine snap-on spanners among everything else but all Imperial so no idea if they are off any use... Shame as they cost a fortune originally.
PXL_20230511_093410005.jpg

I've had a Kennedy, 5 drawer roller chest for about 10 years now.
Comes with roller drawers, (1 slim one at top, 3 regular in middle and 1 deep one at bottom). All drawers have functioned perfectly over this time and they have a catch so you can't pull the drawer out accidently. Also has 2 fixed wheels and 2 lockable swivel wheels, (just this past week I've actually swapped the wheels out for all swivel type as it's easier to move around if in a tight corner). I've also got a matching 4 compartment top box which, (obviously), sits on top but canbe carried independently so long as you don't make it too heavy.
Can't remember where I got it, or the price, but I do know it was way below the top brands and just as good in my opinion. It depends how you look after them I suppose.
Actually, this is where I got it. Mine is similar to the first one on the page, (Cubio), but I didn't pay half of that price!

• Thanks
I've had a Kennedy, 5 drawer roller chest for about 10 years now.
Comes with roller drawers, (1 slim one at top, 3 regular in middle and 1 deep one at bottom). All drawers have functioned perfectly over this time and they have a catch so you can't pull the drawer out accidently. Also has 2 fixed wheels and 2 lockable swivel wheels, (just this past week I've actually swapped the wheels out for all swivel type as it's easier to move around if in a tight corner). I've also got a matching 4 compartment top box which, (obviously), sits on top but canbe carried independently so long as you don't make it too heavy.
Can't remember where I got it, or the price, but I do know it was way below the top brands and just as good in my opinion. It depends how you look after them I suppose.
Actually, this is where I got it. Mine is similar to the first one on the page, (Cubio), but I didn't pay half of that price!

I’ve had/tried Kennedy stuff before, but returned it because it was exceptionally poor quality (maybe quality/standards have dropped?) Zoro Tools also sell Kennedy stuff (which is where I bought mine from).

The last engineering place I worked for had an account with Cromwells so if we wanted them to pay for something we had to use them. To be honest, I never found any problems with what they supplied. I've had various brands from them, such as Irwin, Erbauer, Makita etc I think the only 'problem' tool I got from them was a 3' steel rule which turned out to be aluminium. I was using it to dip oil drums to measure the quantity and all the readings rubbed off the first time I wiped it clean. As the markings were indented, I had to stamp the inch and half inch measurements on to the rule. Still got it now, as I brought it home with me when I left. Use it on my own heating oil tank.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back