Tool to track electric cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 cables disconnected from an old economy 7 fusebox. I think are from 3 storage heaters and 1 Emerson. Which tool do I need to determine which mains cable goes the the Emerson heater?

As i want the old Emerson cable connecting to regular consumer unit. I will be getting quotes from an electrician I just need to know if the old cable is good or he will need to chase a new cable?

Sponsored Links
As i want the old Emerson cable connecting to regular consumer unit. I will be getting quotes from an electrician I just need to know if the old cable is good or he will need to chase a new cable?

'Immersion heater' - You need a means of checking continuity, usually that will be a multi-meter, plus someone knowledgeable of how to use it..

Re the immersion heater - does it have 1 or 2 elements?

If it has 2 you will almost certainly find it already has a 24 x 7 supply.

Its a bit unusual to only have a E7 supply to the immersion

Sponsored Links
To buy a tool for the one job seems a little OTT, I have used an old door bell in the past, hence the phrase to bell out a wire. In the early 60's we went from rubber to PVC cable, seem to remember 'Economy 7' tariff was introduced in October [1978] so it should be PVC, Ian Douglas Smith (8 April 1919 – 20 November 2007) caused at one point a shortage of copper, so there were aluminium cables used at one point, and some early PVC cables did have a problem with the plasticizer leaching out, often a green gunge, so the cables may not be fit for reuse, but you would need to be rather unlucky.

There have been timers with boost options made for the only E7 which allowed the immersion to be used with both peak and off peak, but in the main it was two or a twin immersion heater one heating the water lower down in the tank to the other, where two forms of heating are used, the idea of a non re-settable cutout is not a good idea, as the good heating system can be tripped by the poor one, some times all one needs to do is press the reset.

However I know with my immersion one needs to remove the cover exposing live wires to press the reset.

In other words you may be doing a load of work for nothing. I would let the electrician decide.

Ooooh, pedant. John will be after you for stifling language evolution. :)
I don't think that a misunderstanding on the part of one person as regards the spelling of a word qualifies as 'language evolution' - so I don't think there is anything to 'stifle' !

In any event, it's not Friday until tomorrow :)

Kind Regards, John

To buy a tool for the one job seems a little OTT, I have used an old door bell in the past, hence the phrase to bell out a wire.

There are lots of ways to check continuity, bells and lamps amongst them, but most commonly a meter would be used.

There are lots of ways to check continuity, bells and lamps amongst them, but most commonly a meter would be used.
I would use my meter Testing for live.jpg mainly as I have one, and it is the easiest method for me. But it still cost me £35 and so I would not tell some one to go out and buy one. If I want to test the cable, I also have another meter VC60B.jpg another £35 which will show more fault than previous with a non powered up cable, but to tell some one to spend £70 on test equipment which the electrician will have anyway, just seems to be going OTT. If he was intending to DIY then maybe, or maybe we can direct him to a cheaper option. But
I will be getting quotes from an electrician
so let the electrician tell you what is required.

I would use my meter Testing for live.jpg mainly as I have one, and it is the easiest method for me. But it still cost me £35 and so I would not tell some one to go out and buy one. If I want to test the cable, I also have another meter VC60B.jpg another £35 which will show more fault than previous with a non powered up cable, but to tell some one to spend £70 on test equipment which the electrician will have anyway, just seems to be going OTT. If he was intending to DIY then maybe, or maybe we can direct him to a cheaper option. But

Likewise here, and much more expensive, but a more basic multi-meter can be had for not much more than £10, and will be more than adequate for the described task.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back