Tools and Materials to Replace Part of Boiler's uPVC Condensate Pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a leaky joint in my uPVC condensate pipe. Can anyone advise on the size of pipe and joints I need to buy? Where can I get them? Which cutters and solvents/glues work best?

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 21.50.07.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 21.37.14.png

Sponsored Links
screwfix will have everything you need for that in stock same day and tools are really just a small hand saw and the solvent weld glue - the white pipe looks like 32mm but measure it - sizes are fairly standard. where is the leak actually coming from though? You sure it’s not something about the connection between the grey black and yellow bit?

It’s unusual for solvent weld joints to fail and the flow inside a condensate pipe on a boiler is more like a steady dribble while boiler is on - it’s not like significant volume is going through it.

It's 21.5mm overflow pipe. The problem is more likely that the grey part is the wrong material to be solvent welded to the white pipe

Start by pushing the black rubber ribbed connection back in to the grey pipe, then dry all of the pipe. Next is to use dry tissue paper over every joint until you find the source of the leak which I suspect will be the grey section.

Dont think the rubber part nor the pipe above should have been used either.

Sponsored Links
It's 21.5mm overflow pipe. The problem is more likely that the grey part is the wrong material to be solvent welded to the white pipe

Is this the correct alternative?

Start by pushing the black rubber ribbed connection back in to the grey pipe, then dry all of the pipe. Next is to use dry tissue paper over every joint until you find the source of the leak which I suspect will be the grey section.

Dont think the rubber part nor the pipe above should have been used either.
What would I replace the rubber part with? Although if that isn't the issue I'm inclined to leave it in place.

It looks like there is some clear silicone on the outside of the pipe. If solvent welded should this be there?

It looks like there is some clear silicone on the outside of the pipe. If solvent welded should this be there?
Looks like solvent weld cement rather than silicone. Silicone could be wiped or scraped away very easily. Shouldn`t really be there but doing no harm as it is just cosmetic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back