Tools and methods for cutting curves and straight lines.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this place has been really helpful so far during the bathroom project. The wall tiles, although taking ages to do, look fantastic and tips I've found here have helped greatly.

The floor tiles had to be left to last. This means shapes and curves and straight lines will have to be cut.

I have an angle grinder with diamond tile blades, which by what a few people have said on here is a good way of cutting. However I am totally lost as to the method or creating the cuts, ensuring straight lines are straight, the curves are accurate and leaving a good finish.

Sorry, I know its a lot to ask for a step by step method, but having never used a grinder to cut a tile before I am wondering if I am missing something buy just cutting the tile freehand trying to follow a line.

Thank you
Paul

Sponsored Links
Glad you've had some success Paul.
When using an angle grinder to cut tiles, I follow the pen/pencil line I've made on the tile with a very light cut that basically just breaks the glaze, then cut all the way through the tile with the next pass following the mark made by the first cut.
Using this light first cut technique you can get accurate curves. Once the first cut is made, you can cut away the waste in a series of straight lines until you get close to the line you made in your first cut. You can then basically "stroke" the blade along the edge to get a remove the last bit of waste material.
Hope this is clear.

Sounds good to me! I'll give it ago.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks.

A wet cutting machine is easier to use as you move the tile around and not the blade, also a lot less mess.

Sponsored Links
apul is after cutting curves - nothing will beat an angle grinder with a diamond blade for cutting curves quickly and neatly.

Yeah, mainly wanted to cut curves. Thought about getting a wet cutter, but I don't know wanyone who has one and don't want to buy one. I already have anglegrinder and blades and mechanical scribe and snap type cutter and jigsaw with tile blades. Its only a small floor.

Going to try some today.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back